KANNAPOLIS — N.C. Department of Transportation contract crews are actively working on every section of N.C. 3 from Kannapolis Parkway to Loop Road as work continues to widen the existing road to a four-lane divided roadway.
Current operations include:
- Soil cement stabilization.
- Fine grading in multiple areas.
- Earthmoving work (taking material out of some areas to place for embankment fills).
- Storm drain installation.
- Water line installation.
- Work on decorative façade for retaining wall.
- Daily erosion and traffic control operations.
Additional crews were to be on hand starting Aug. 17 to work on multiple retaining walls in the project limits.
Over Irish Buffalo Creek, a new bridge is about 90% complete. The existing bridge must be removed to start construction on another new bridge, so there will be two new structures over the creek.
Access for emergency vehicles and school/special needs buses will be maintained throughout construction. The road is closed to all other traffic.