These are older photos from around Cabarrus County. If you have photos you would like to share send them to mplemmons@independenttribune.com. This collection is regularly updated.
05-23 A2 old photo ward spring fashion with name.jpg
A reader believes this is their aunt Ruby Horton Taylor (maiden name, Ruby Jane Barbee). The date of the picture is around 1962, judging from the white gloves and pill box hat. You can see Montgomery Ward, F. L. Smith and the Professional Building in the background. On the right side of the picture, the buildings still have awnings.If you have old photos you would like to share email mplemmons@independenttribune.com FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
World War I photo
This photo was taken by Cabarrus County native John Jacob Barnhardt Sr. while he served during World War I. The photo, part of the "Over There and Back Home" at Historic Cabarrus/Concord Museum exhibit, was believed to be taken sometime in 1918 in France. Photo courtesy of Historic Cabarrus Association Inc.
Beverly Hills bike rack
Here's a photo from days gone by at Beverly Hills Elementary School. It comes from a scrapbook in the school library. Thursday, June 28, the Cabarrus County Board of Education will consider a recommendation to close the neighborhood school. The public will not be allowed to speak at the meeting. A public hearing was held early. Submitted photo
Concord High Class of 1941
Kim Cook found this 1941 copy of The Concord Tribune from May 25, 1941. The graduating class of 108 seniors at Concord High School appeared on the cover of Section 2 along with their mascots, Patience Goldston and Hugh Craig Jr.
What-A-Burger #5
The What-A-Burger #5 was located at 1212 South Cannon Boulevard and had its grand opening on June 21, 1962. You could always count on some good-looking cars being there on Friday and Saturday nights. The What-A-Burger #5 was torn down around 1987. Auto Mart currently occupies that location. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
West Avenue 1930s
In this circa late 1930s picture of West Avenue, most of the buildings looked the same then as they did on up into the 1980’s. On the left side of the street is Kannapolis Store Co. . It appears that the clock has already been installed in the big round windows. The Kiddie shop can be seen. There were lanes on both sides of the median, but each side has north and south parking. So many things in the picture beg for memories and confirmation. There is possibly a newsstand in the foreground. Johnston’s and A & P are on the right side, along with Lady’s Funeral Home. Farther down on the right is Dixie Home Stores. The large white building at the back is Whitley’s Funeral Home. Whitley’s sits about where the Swanee Theater would be built in November 1940. Whitley’s moved to the corner of South Main Street and Cabarrus Hall Drive in 1940.The company remained there for the next 46 years. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Class of 1953
Cabarrus County General Hospital established its nursing school in 1942. By 1946, it included dormitories, class rooms, a laboratory and library. Students graduated with a B. S. degree. On Friday, May 25, 2018, the Class of 1953 celebrated its 65th Class Reunion. The picture is courtesy of Sis Mills, one of the members of that class. The evolved into the Cabarrus College of Health Sciences.
05-20 A2 old photo ward spring fashion.jpg
Anybody know who this model is? The date of the picture is around 1962, judging from the white gloves and pill box hat. You can see Montgomery Ward, F. L. Smith and the Professional Building in the background. On the right side of the picture, the buildings still have awnings. If you recognize her, let us know, mplemmons@independenttribune.com FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Class of 1923
J. W. Cannon High School was built in 1925 and was originally named Central High School. Prior to the high school being built, high school curriculum was part of South School. South School was later renamed McIver. At one time, McIver was the only school in town and included all grades in a 4-room building. The “Kannapolis High School” started classes at McIver in 1919 and graduated 5 girls in 1921. The “Pioneer” was the first yearbook and was published in 1924. There were 21 students in the senior class. The picture is the 1923 graduating class. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Cabarrus County and World War I
John Jacob Barnhardt Sr. was one of the many men and women from Cabarrus County who served the American efforts in World War I. This photo appears on the latest edition of Historic Cabarrus Association Inc.'s Golden Nugget, Volume 26, Number 1, Spring 2018. It is part of "Over There and Back Home," an article by Ashley Sedlak-Propst about the Cabarrus effort, featured in the Golden Nugget. Barnhardt, avid photographer, documented his time serving in France with a series of black and white photos. He was there from July, 1918 to July 1919.
S&D Coffee 1970
This look inside S&D Coffee in Concord in 1970 is from the open house celebrating the new facility on U.S. 29, according to Brenda Horton, who was the executive assistant to Roy Davis for 42 years. The man on the right is Boyd Troutman (worked for more than 25 years, retiring as manager of the Beverage Department). The other man is Troutman's brother-in-law Coy Rhinehart (not 100 percent sure on last name).The photo was found at the old Lawson Bonds/Oxford Studios in downtown Concord. Courtesy of Michael A. Anderson Photography
Camp Elliott
Camp Elliott, covered over 50 acres between Old Fort and Black Mountain. According to the February 13, 1973 issue of the Daily Independent, The YMCA had decided to close Camp Elliott in order to expand the day camping program. The last time Camp Elliott would be used as a YMCA resident camp for boys and girls would be in the summer of 1972. The camp first opened in 1939 equipped to serve 100 persons, including the counselors. Camp Elliott was purchased from the Interstate YMCA committee in 1959. One of the reasons for closing the camp was “experience in recent years has shown that many parents and campers are accustomed today to more comfortable facilities." FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Hotel Concord
This a photo of the back of the Hotel Concord taken from what is now Cabarrus Avenue. The Hotel is entering the final stages of redevelopment now and will soon be occupied by residents and businesses. Photo courtesy of Michael A. Anderson Photography
Star Furniture
Montgomery Ward came to Kannapolis in 1930 and was located at 150 S. Main Street. In late 1972, Wards closed and began catalog sales only, located at 216 Oak Avenue and then later Cannon Boulevard. Star Furniture was not listed in the City Directory as being located on South Main Street. In 1981 and 1982, the address was 214 West Avenue and in 1983 and 1984, the address was 102 West Avenue. The Montgomery Wards building was torn down in January 1991. The picture appears to be from the mid-1970s FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Historic Preservation Week 1991
Jim Ramseur ran across this clipping from The Concord Tribune in May, 1991.
Cat in Driveway
"Cat in Driveway" won first place in the adjustable category for Charles Caton of the cotton department at Cannon Mills. The pictured appeared in the November, 1981 editon of Cannon News and was part of a photo contest held by the mill's newspaper. Caton found the cat in the bushes near his home and found a good home for it. Kim Cook found the old paper and shared it with us.
The Sportscenter 1982
The Sportscenter off Country Club Drive is shown under construction in 1982. The owners used a local builder called Cabarrus Construction. The design won them a national award that year. Photo courtesy of Dr. Frank Sellers and Rose Rummel-Eury
West Avenue 1950s
This picture shows a great amount of detail on West Avenue and Oak Avenue. According to the cars it is late 1950's. You can see the side of Cabarrus Bank and across the street is The Swanee theater. At the far left is the building that once housed A & P and Stroup Supply and is now occupied by Lee Clothing. This building and the Colonial Stores building were mirror images of each other. In the background on Oak Avenue, you can see the bus terminal. This is a great picture to show how the Cannon Mill houses surrounded the town. Circa 1959. According to the 1959 City Directory, Colonial Stores is located at 216-222 West Avenue and A & P was located at 250-254 West Avenue. The Navy, AF and US Recruiting offices were at 213 West Avenue. That is Centerview Taxi Stand beside the Swanee. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Belk management
E. Ray Simpson, Sr. was the Assistant Manager at Belk's Department Store in Kannapolis in1926. Charles McKinley was the Manager. Belk was on the east side of South Main Street. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
World War I and Cabarrus County
James Bain Cannon was one of the many men and women from Cabarrus County who served the American efforts in World War I. This photo appears on the latest edition of Historic Cabarrus Association Inc.'s Gold Nugget, Volume 26, Number 1, Spring 2018. Cannon lived near Poplar Tent Church and was the son of Charles Lee Cannon and Minerva Sarah Alexander Cannon. "Over There and Back Home," an article by Ashley Sedlak-Propst about the Cabarrus effort, is also featured in the Golden Nugget.
1971 data collector
Bud Overcash, left, third shift Spinning Room overseer at Cannon Mills Plant 16, Swink, Salisbury, and Superintendent Paul Owens, center, watch as Benny Whitley, third shift overseer, checks the Adams Dual Data Collector for chronically stopping looms. The photo is from Cannon News, June 1971. Kim Cook found the old newspaper and wanted to share with our readers.
Cabarrus Memorial Hospital 1946
This aerial view of then Cabarrus Memorial Hospital (now NorthEast Medical Center) was taken June 11, 1946. There are a couple of cracks in the photo, which was found in the Lawson Bonds/Oxford Studios in downtown Concord. The site is vastly different than today, but you can see the intersection of U.S. 29 and Church Street at the bottom of the photo. This predates the Carolina Mall and many of the buildings on the hospital campus as well as most of the current buildings on Concord Parkway. Courtesy of Michael A. Anderson Photography
1952 Kannapolis-China Grove directory
This is the cover of the 1952 Kannapolis-China Grove telephone directory from The Concord Telephone Company. Numbers were five and four digitals. The 113-page directory had numbers and instructions on how to dial and what to do in the event of an emergency. The complete directory is available on-line through Digital NC. The directory is one of thousands of historical documents at Digital NC http://www.digitalnc.org/. It is a project of the N.C. Department of Natural and Cultural Resources, UNC-Chapel Hill University Library and the N.C. Digital Heritage Center.
Hartsell Championship
Cabarrus County Sports Hall of Famer Larry Honeycutt (33) receives the Granite Belt Conference championship trophy for his Hartsell High School team. The Concord Tribune Sports Editor Bill Kiser made the presentation at the game at Webb Field. Hartsell's coaches Johnny Coble, left, and Cliff Evans watch. Honeycutt later followed in Coble and Evans' footsteps teaching and coaching. Mount Pleasant High named it's field for Honeycutt, Larry Honeycutt Field at Tiger Stadium. Honeycutt played football at Mars Hill College and is in the Mars Hill Sports Hall of Fame too. Babb photo/The Concord Tribune
29 Motors
This picture was circa late 1950s. On the left is Towel City Music Company, which was owned and/or operated by Bynum F. Hudson and Joe C. Riggs. It was located at 914 N. Cannon Boulevard. According to the City Directory for 1959, Twenty-Nine Motors, Inc. was owned and/or operated by Ralph K. Freeman, president. Otis Freeman was vice-president and Mrs. Mary Freeman was secretary-treasurer. 29 motors later moved to 1905 N. Cannon Boulevard, which is now where Pethel Motors is located. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Cannon Mills celebration
A 45-minute fireworks spectacular capped the Cannon Mills 75th Anniversary and Textile Week celebration in 1981. This picture across Town Lake shows the company headquarters. It appeared in the November, 1981 edition of Cannon News.
Class of 1923
J. W. Cannon High School was built in 1925 and was originally named Central High School. Prior to the high school being built, high school curriculum was part of South School. South School was later renamed McIver. At one time, McIver was the only school in town and included all grades in a 4-room building. The “Kannapolis High School” started classes at McIver in 1919 and graduated 5 girls in 1921. The “Pioneer” was the first yearbook and was published in 1924. There were 21 students in the senior class. The picture is the 1923 graduating class. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Nursing students 1958
Nursing students use microscopes in the lab at the then Cabarrus Memorial Hospital School of Nursing. The photo was taken in 1958 and included in a 50th Anniversaryl section of the 1987 Cap N' Pin annual for the school. The nursing school later became the Louise Harkey School of Nursing at Cabarrus College of Health Sciences. Photo courtesy of Cabarrus College of Health Sciences
Belk management
E. Ray Simpson, Sr. was the Assistant Manager at Belk's Department Store in Kannapolis in1926. Charles McKinley was the Manager. Belk was on the east side of South Main Street. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Hartsell Championship
Cabarrus County Sports Hall of Famer Larry Honeycutt (33) receives the Granite Belt Conference championship trophy for his Hartsell High School team. The Concord Tribune Sports Editor Bill Kiser made the presentation at the game at Webb Field. Hartsell's coaches Johnny Coble, left, and Cliff Evans watch. Honeycutt later followed in Coble and Evans' footsteps teaching and coaching. Mount Pleasant High named it's field for Honeycutt, Larry Honeycutt Field at Tiger Stadium. Honeycutt played football at Mars Hill College and is in the Mars Hill Sports Hall of Fame too. Babb photo/The Concord Tribune
Cabarrus County and World War I
John Jacob Barnhardt Sr. was one of the many men and women from Cabarrus County who served the American efforts in World War I. This photo appears on the latest edition of Historic Cabarrus Association Inc.'s Golden Nugget, Volume 26, Number 1, Spring 2018. It is part of "Over There and Back Home," an article by Ashley Sedlak-Propst about the Cabarrus effort, featured in the Golden Nugget. Barnhardt, avid photographer, documented his time serving in France with a series of black and white photos. He was there from July, 1918 to July 1919.
Kimball Lutheran Church
This photo of Kimball Lutheran Church in Kannapolis was taken about 1963 or 1964. According to Norris Dearmon, this building was built in 1922 and faced Main Street. It remained there until 1963-1964, when the new building was placed on the same site but faced Vance Street instead of Main. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
World War I and Cabarrus County
James Bain Cannon was one of the many men and women from Cabarrus County who served the American efforts in World War I. This photo appears on the latest edition of Historic Cabarrus Association Inc.'s Gold Nugget, Volume 26, Number 1, Spring 2018. Cannon lived near Poplar Tent Church and was the son of Charles Lee Cannon and Minerva Sarah Alexander Cannon. "Over There and Back Home," an article by Ashley Sedlak-Propst about the Cabarrus effort, is also featured in the Golden Nugget.
Hartsell School 1954
Students from Hartsell School in Concord pose for a class picture in 1954. Joan Hinson of Concord brought the photo and another to the Independent Tribune in 1998 and this is a clipping of what ran in the newspaper. The photo belonged to Willene Ervin McDaniel of Concord and Virginia Small Potts of Milton, Conn.These are the students they could identify: front row from left, Betty Jean Kennedy, Earlene Foster, Frances Parrish and a Billings girl; second row, Phyllis Williams, Barbara Helton, Myrtle Hargett, Billie Yarbrough, Willene Ervin, Edna Earl Billings and Patsy Simpson; third row, Billy Cooper, unknown, Harvey Lambert, Gerald Blackwelder, unknown, Gene Furr, Jerry Furr and Harold Small; and fourth row, Alvin Eury, unknown, Mrs. Ila Bost and James Eury.
South Cabarrus All-Stars
Coach Chic Seaford brought us this Concord Tribune photo by Mike Cress of the South Cabarrus County All-Stars who were playing in the state championships at Central Cabarrus. Pictured are: front row from left, Todd Seaford, Scott Goins, David Ramseur and Dalton McCoy; second row, Ricky Sehorn, Tim Lynch, Andy Irvin, Steve Tomberlin, Randy Morgan and Eric Robinson; third row, Coach Gary Hartsell, Coach Chic Seaford, Danny Kennington, Kenny Kiker, Fred Moore, Tony Folson and Manager Glen Ramseur. Frankie Hooks was absent.
Esso Station
A new Concord ABC Store is currently being constructed at the pie shaped intersection of Davidson Drive NW and Church Street North. This undated photo image shows the Esso service station that once occupied the southern portion of this same lot. Esso became known as Exxon in the 1970s. Notice the advertising signage displayed on the site. The Coca-Cola sign features sandwiches and snacks while the Esslinger’s Beer sign towers over the site. A motorist could have their vehicle serviced with Essolube products and drink a Red Top while they waited. Concord High students from the 1960s will remember this same site as Martin’s Drive-In where they gathered on Sunday evenings. Other days they could be found at Martin’s 29 located where the old Shoney’s building still sits across from Carolina Heath Systems - NorthEast. Martin’s 29 was closed on Sundays. Photo & information courtesy of Jim Ramseur
Jackson Training School
This is (Stonewall) Jackson Training School in Concord c. 1909-1915 on a postcard that is in the Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards, North Carolina Collection, UNC-Chapel Hill. Stonewall Jackson Training School was established by act of the N. C. Central Assembly in 1907. It was the first and largest correctional institution in N. C., conceived not only to correct youthful offenders but also to teach them moral conduct and a trade. Such an institution was first proposed by Concord Standard newspaper editor James P. Cook in 1890. The Cabarrus Genealogy Society has much more information on its website www.cabarrusgenealogysociety.org
Victory Mail
According to the Smithsonian National Postal Museum V- Mail or Victory Mail originated in England and was used during WWII. It was not a sheet of paper and an envelope. It was microfilmed copies. When the microfilmed copies arrived overseas they were “blown up” and the delivered to the military personnel. This increased cargo space on ships tremendously, allowing them to haul more war materials. It took 37 mail bags to carry 150,000 one-page letters and one, carrying the microfilm could deliver the same amount of mail. The weight dropped from 2,575 pounds to 45 pounds. This V-Mail Christmas card is not dated but was sent from Mrs. Walter C. Lee, Juniper Street Kannapolis, to Cpl. .W. B. Lee FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
May Day 1939
On May Day 1939 these girls posed for a photo at Woodrow Wilson School. They are, from left, Anita Riddie, Betty Freeze, unidentified, unidentified, Betty Shoaf and Esther (last name unknown). Please contact the Kannapolis History Associates at (704) 932-7518 if you know the missing names or have more information about the picture. Picture courtesy of Frances Cavin Wagner
May Day 1939
On May Day 1939 these girls posed for a photo at Woodrow Wilson School. They are, from left, Joyce Canup, Frances Cavin, Rachael (last name unknown) and Betty Brigman. Please contact the Kannapolis History Associates at (704) 932-7518 if you know the missing name or have more information about the picture. Picture courtesy of Frances Cavin Wagner
The Buyer's Market
The Buyer’s Market, located at 1214 South Main Street was built in the early 1960s by Newmoon Jung. The front of the store was redesigned after Hurricane Hugo blew most of it away in September 1989. It is still in business and is owned and operated by his sons. The business is now known as The Carpet Connection. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Cotton Inspection
This 1974 photo is from the Cannon Mills cotton laboratory. Fletcher Hartsell Sr., Frances Morgan, left, and Barbara Davis were using a Fibrograph to examine cotton fibers. Hartsell was the supervisor of the cotton department laboratory. From Kannapolis A Pictorial History
Johnny's Beverages
In 1956 Joe’s Beverage was located at 800 North Cannon Boulevard and Terry’s Drive-In was on the opposite corner, at 718 North Cannon Boulevard. Johnny’s Beverage began business in 1969 at the old Joe’s location. Johnny’s was gone in 1987 and in 1989 Burger King occupied the spot. In 1991 Terry’s was no longer in business and in 1992, at 718 North Cannon Boulevard was Everybody Rides Used Cars. Courtesy of Kannapolis History Associates
Scrap metal
During WWII citizens donated scrap metal in the effort to decrease the shortage. Competitions were held among communities to see which town could get the most scrap. Pots, pans car fenders and all types of items were donated, including a cannon that stood by J. W. Cannon High School. According to an article from the Daily Independent, dated November 8, 1942, the historic German-made cannon weighed 2100 pounds. The Daily Independent sponsored the salvage campaign. The students at J. W. Cannon High school collected a total of 9,800 pounds. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Woodrow Wilson Indian Play
This a group picture taken at Woodrow Wilson School the day of the Indian Play in the mid to late 1940s Pictured are front row, from left, possibly Dan Plyler, Betty Strickland, Betty Kerley, (unidentified), possibly Dan Plyler, Ester Woodard, Rachel (last name unknown), and Frances Cavin; second row, Boyce Jenkins, (unidentified), (unidentified), Billy(last name unknown), Clyde Plyler, Nesbit Sills, Betty Bass and (unidentified); third row, Gene Roberts, (unidentified), (unidentified), Zoe Messer, Imogine Crainshaw, (unidentified), (unidentified), and Charles Wagstaf; fourth row, (unidentified), Doris Harrington, (unidentified), and C.O. Sides: and fifth row Clyde Moose, Ruth Foste, Novella Myers, Johnny Beaver, and (unidentified). If you recognize anyone in the photo contact the Kannapolis History Associates at 704-932-7518. Picture courtesy of Frances Cavin Wagner
04-08 A2 old photo epworth united methodist church.jpg
Epworth United Methodist Church
Lawson Bonds shot this photo of Epworth United Methodist Church, above left, May 5, 1967. It is one of the photos found in the Bonds/Oxford Studio when Michael A. Anderson Photography moved in last year. You will notice Burrage Road with a few homes. The area looks sparely developed when compared with Google Maps photo on the right. The Bonds photo was before Carolina Mall and much of the expanson of the hospital. The apartments, condos and offices all came later.
Charlotte Motor Speedway
Charlotte Motor Speedway has changed a lot over the years as shown by this construction photo by Lawson Bonds. This is the U.S. 29/Concord Parkway side of the track. The fourth turn tunnel to the infield can be seen. The photo is one of thousands found in the Lawson Bonds/Oxford Studios when photographer Mike Anderson moved into the studio a year ago. Photo courtesy of Michael A. Anderson Photography
Huddle Up Hartsell
Vance Horton Jr. brought us this August, 1965 clipping from The Concord Tribune. Photographer Edgar Readling captured the huddle of returning lettermen from Hartsell High gathered around their coach Richard Lapish. The front row has Ronnie Green, from left, Mike Kluttz, Coach Lapish, Mike Mauldin and Vance Horton. The second row has Alan Honeycutt, Mickey Honeycutt, Allen Hagler, Tim Taylor and Dale Beamon.
PX self-service grocery
In April of 1947, “Another Fine Store for the People of Kannapolis” was opened. Glen Chisholm was owner and operator. According to the ads, it was a PX self-service grocery & market – PX grill and café, that had tables for ladies and gentlemen. The store was located at the end of GI Town on the Enochville Road at Glenn Avenue. Later the building was housed by Ellie’s Barbeque and after that, Tommy’s Kitchen. The address, by then had changed to 1024 West ‘C’ Street. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
American Legion state champions
Coach Gerald Blackburn, left, congratulates pitcher Gray Clarke and other players after a win at Sumter for the Kannapolis American Legion team in the Region Three playoffs. This 1961 team won the state championship. The photo was taken by The Daily Independent staff photographer Earl Graham.
Coca-Cola sign
A Coca-Cola sign is being painted by Clarence W. Hampton of Kannapolis. He painted Coca-Cola signs across North Carolina. Clarence worked for Cannon Mills and was nicknamed "Michelangeo." FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Thriving downtown
This picture was taken in 1938 and shows what a shopping mecca Kannapolis was during the 1930s. You had Montgomery Ward, which was located at 150 S. Main Street, F. L. Smith Drug Co., Query-Goodman Shoes, Woolworth Co. and Cabarrus Bank & Trust. Anything you needed could be purchased in this one block area, with the exception, perhaps of a car and your groceries. The end came in 1991, when some of these iconic buildings were taken down. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Boys Club Baseball clipping
This photo appeared in the Aug. 2, 1966 The Concord Tribune. The caption read: “Don Ayscue hurled at three-hitter for the Concord Boys Club Monday night in leading the club to a 13-2 win over C&A of Albemarle. Ronnie Furr (right) was one of the leading hitters for the Boys Club (Photo by Norris)”
South Main Street, 1938
This picture, looking north, is of South Main Street in downtown Kannapolis and was taken in May 1938. You can see Coca Cola and Westinghouse signs hanging over the sidewalk. Next shown is E. L. Wrenn Cleaning and Dyeing, Lady's Funeral Home which was open 24 hours a day, and Towel City Towel Company, which sold Cannon towels, sheets and hosiery. Duke Power is the last building. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Shoe-O'Neal Motors Parts Van
The Shoe O'Neal Motors parts van rolls up Union Street in Concord during a parade in 1955 to celebrate the Ford dealership's extended hours from 5:30 to 9 p.m. Grady Shoe and Bart O'Neal bought the dealership from Reid Motor Company. Notice the four-digit telephone number 2151. Photo courtesy of Jack Kissiah
Dinky
A "Dinkey" is a tow motor or tow tractor and was used throughout Cannon Mills. Carl Wright is shown operating a dinky in the Bleachery in 1974 in Plant 1. The picture was taken by Mike McLain and was in the Cannon News. It possibly was a 4-cylinder with a flat head engine. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Cabarrus Rescue wins
These photos appeared in the April 27, 1977 Daily Independent after the Cabarrus Rescue won a two-state competition in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. It included rescue of a "victim" from an 11th floor of a hotel. the previous high done during the competition was 9 floors. Cabarrus Rescue team members are shown practicing above at the headquarters. In the photo on the left, team members are Jimmy Overcash, Charles Isenhour chief and captain, Howard Troutman and Bob McDaniel. In the photo on the right, Steve McClellan, Johnny Bennick and Tommy Rogers are shown practicing. Photos courtesy of Charlie Isenhour
Shoe-O'Neal Motors
The "Formal Opening" of Shoe-O'Neal Motors on Church Street in Concord was held Nov. 11, 1955. Grady Shoe and Bart O'Neal bought the dealership from Reid Motor Company. Photo courtesy of Jack Kissiah
Downtown Concord 1950s
Light streaks through Union Street are seen in this Lawson Bonds photo from the 1950s. Downtown Concord looked much different then in this view looking toward the north. This is one of the thousands of photographs and negatives from the Lawson Bonds/Oxford Studio. Photo courtesy of Michael A. Anderson
Moonshine raid
This photo depicts the aftermath of a moonshine raid in the late 1930s on a still in Cabarrus County. On the first row, kneeling, from left: “Footsie” Davis of the Kannapolis Police Department; an unidentified agent with Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms; an unidentified suspect captured in the raid, who may have been disposing of some evidence when the photo was taken; and a Mr. Barrier. Standing: future Kannapolis Police Chief R.L. “Bob” Ketchie; another unidentified suspect; Kannapolis Police Chief Ira Chapman; Cabarrus County Sheriff Ray Hoover; and an unidentified ATF agent. Bob Ketchie was not yet a full-fledged law officer when this raid occurred, but because of his speed, he was used as a “runner” to chase down suspects. From the book “Kannapolis, a Pictorial History,” published by the City of Kannapolis.
Cannon Mills Plant 5 baseball
Don Ayscue found this photo of his dad's baseball team at Cannon Mills Plant 5. The photo was taken sometime in the late 1940s. Pictured are: Johnny Tallent, Uncle George Coley, Boots Fletcher, Cotton Furr, Earl Nash, Leroy Little, Clarence Cruze, Bud Austin, Clarence Shue, Uncle Pro Furr, Penanut Gray, Manager Zeb Gray, Paul Coley, Floyd Ayscue (Don's dad), Ollie Furr, James Hartsell and Manager H.B. Clyburn. Photo courtesy of Don Ayscue
Harold "Lug" Leazer
This is the J. W. Cannon High School Junior Class in 1934-35 - Pictured on the fourth row, 2nd from the left is Harold "Lug" Leazer. This article originally appeared in the November 20, 1950 issue of the Daily Independent and was later shown on Scott Boggs' site - Friday Night in K-Town. Lug was a great football player for J. W. Cannon High School and later made the ultimate sacrifice for all of us and for his country. He was shot down in 1944 and was officially declared dead by the War Department a year later. The "Lug" Leazer award has been presented to outstanding football players for J. W. Cannon High School and A. L. Brown High School since 1946. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
1952 American Legion Junior Baseball
This is the 1952 American Legion Junior Baseball Club. Courtesy of Frank Black and Rose Rummel-Eury. Photo is a reprint from a 2010 brochure put out by the original Legion sponsors of the baseball club, The Beaver-Pittman Post 115.
07-08 A2 old photo carolina tire.jpg
Battle for the Bell Parade
People lined Union Street in 1947 for the Battle for the Bell parade in downtown Concord. It was one of many activities leading up to the annual football game between Concord and Kannapolis. Photographer Lawson Bonds shot this photo of one of the floats.The State Theatre can be seen across the street from the Hotel Concord. It was originally the Star Theatre, but was renamed in 1941. Photo courtesy of Mike Anderson
Cannon House in the Snow
Just imagine. Soon, we will no longer have 80-degree temperatures. Windows will frost up and winter smells will delight you, but will your house, sitting in the falling snow, look as beautiful as the Cannon family home, located on Union Street in Concord did? FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Cabarrus Theatre 1947
The Cabarrus Theatre on Union Street beside the Hotel Concord is seen in this 1947 photo by Lawson Bonds during the Concord-Kannapolis Battle for the Bell parade. The movie playing was "Life with Father" which starred William Powell and Irene Dunne. The movie also featured 15-year-old Elizabeth Taylor. Photo courtesy of Michael A. Anderson
Dogwood Garden Club
The Dogwood Garden Club is celebrating its 50th Anniversary this year after forming in the Beverly Hills neighborhood in 1967. This photo was taken in January, 2000 as the group celebrated the new century. Pictured are: front, from left, Doris Crawford, Judy Hughes, Sylvia Corl and Anne Hough; second row, Sandra Faggart, Frieda Helmentoller, Pat Locklear, Joy Barbee, Barbara Allman, Ruth Plott, Martha Kelly and Margaret Troxler; and third row, Norma Mosby, Bea Lee, Elizabeth “Pete” Murray, Susan Miller, Marielle Click and Bette Parnell. Betty Sides and Dianne Pittmon were not present for the photo. The club later became part of the Concord Civic Garden Council. The club meets monthly to work projects to beautify Concord as well as take trips and tours together. Kay Smith is the current president. Photo by Clyde Waller of Kannapolis
Mary Ella Hall
James W. Cannon realized early on that many of the people working in his mill would need a place to stay. In 1919, he built Mary Ella Hall beside the YMCA. Cabarrus Hall was built next to Cabarrus Mill, which was originally Patterson Mill and later, became Plant 4. It is four blocks south of Plant 1 and was located behind McIver School. This enabled teachers, as well as Cannon employees to live there and get their meals at a reasonable cost. There were 120 persons living at Mary Ella Hall when the announcement was made in August 1962 that the building would be razed. Nineteen people were employed in the rooming and dining sections of the building. Info reprinted from various article written by Norris Dearmon. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Kerr Bleachery Employees
W.H. Kerr opened Concord’s Kerr Bag Manufacturing Company in 1890, and shortly thereafter the plant was acquired by John M. Odell and James W. Cannon and renamed Kerr Bleaching and Finishing Works, better known as Kerr Bleachery. With the opening of this facility, no longer was Concord-produced cloth shipped north for bleaching or dyeing. Kerr Bleachery remained in operation until a 1979 fire destroyed the facility. This undated photo, uncovered in the historic Oxford/Bonds studio, was taken by Lawson Bonds and is said to be a gathering of Kerr employees. If anyone can identify the people shown here, please contact the editor at mplemmons@independenttribune.com. COURTESY OF MICHAEL EURY AND ROSE RUMMEL-EURY.
Drag racer Jerry Hunter
This is another Lawson Bonds photo from the Roberta Dragstrip in 1957. The driver is Jerry Hunter of Concord. His 1932 Ford Roadster powered by a Corvette V-8 with three 2-barrel carbs. It was the fastest quarter mile car in town at the time. The dragstrip is long gone but the wide street in the back of the Old South Subdivision off Roberta Road is where the track was. Photo courtesy of Mike Anderson
Terry towel dresses
According to Webster, the meaning for innovative is of a product, idea, etc. – featuring new methods, advanced and original. The people of Kannapolis are certainly that, if nothing else. Who would have imagined that dresses made out of Cannon Mills terry towels would look so nice on these ladies? They are helping to promote the Rose’s 5-10-25 Grand Opening in August 1958. Rose’s was located at 134 West Avenue. Pictured, L to R: are Mrs. Dorothy Smith, Mrs. Mary Ann Griffin and Miss Jatanna Lewis. PHOTO BY EARL GRAHAM, FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Concord Dragway
Here is another photo from Lawson Bonds. He shot this photo of Joe "Jose" Wilson, a winner at the Concord Dragway off Roberta Road in the late 1950s. Wilson lives in Lenoir now and is active in the Tarheel Late Great Chevy Club. The dragstrip is long gone but the wide street in the back of the Old South Subdivision off Roberta Road is where the track was.Photo courtesy of Mike Anderson
CMH School of Nursing
The front of the Cabarrus Memorial Hospital School of Nursing was featured in the 1988 Cap n'Pin annual for the school. The college later moved to a location on Copperfield Boulevard before moving back to the CHS NorthEast Hospital campus near Carolina Mall. The school is now the Cabarrus College of Health Sciences and the nursing school is called the Louise Harkey School of Nursing. Photo courtesy of Cabarrus College of Health Sciences
Cabarrus Rescue Squad
These men were the leaders of the Cabarrus Rescue Squad for fiscal year 1975-76. Pictured are: front row from left, Johnny Bennick, second sergeant; James Clark, chaplain; Charlie Isenhour, chief; and Loy Stewart Jr.; and standing, Jimmy Overcash, first sergeant; David Lowery, first lieutenant; Grady Hardeman, captain; and John Biggers, secretary-treasurer. The photo by Charles Foster appeared in The Concord Tribune. Photo courtesy of Charlie Isenhour
James W. Cannnon YMCA
This picture, taken in 1933, shows a gentleman waiting to go in to the showers at the YMCA, and was taken in the men’s department at the second YMCA in Kannapolis. This building began operations in 1925 and was named in memory of James W. Cannon, who died in 1921. The new building included an auditorium, two social rooms, a library, theater, gymnasium, women and men’s quarters, a swimming pool, lockers and showers. Fire destroyed this building on December 20, 1937. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Hancock Motor Company
This picture, dated in the 1930’s, shows a couple of businesses located at 917 South Main Street in the Midway section of Kannapolis. Hancock Motor Company sold and serviced Plymouths and Dodges and was listed in the 1940 City Directory, but not listed in the 1942 directory. It was operated and/or owned by Ted W. Hancock. The telephone number for Hancock’s was 368 and the service station number was 1217. You can see the tall air pump stand outside the first bay. The service station sold Opaline and Sinclair Pennsylvania products FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Canon Mills sign
We have all seen beautiful colored pictures of the Cannon Mills neon sign overlooking the lake at Plant 1, but the history of the sign goes back much further than that one sign in the widely seen photo. The neon sign was erected in 1945 and dismantled in 1984. The Cannon Manufacturing sign was erected in 1926 and was made of metal. The larger letters on the sign were 5 feet tall and the smaller ones were 2 ½ feet tall and were lit by 1800 incandescent bulbs. Cannon Mills Company was formed in 1928, and the sign was changed to reflect the new name. The placement of the sign was to attract travelers on U. S. 29 and the passengers riding on the main line of Southern Railway. In 1930, C. A. Cannon had a large blue eagle added to the sign to support Roosevelt's National Economic Recovery Program. Over the years, the words have changed, but the logo remained the same. Towels Cannon Manufacturing Co. Largest Manufacturers of Towels in the World (1926 – 1928) Towels-Sheets Cannon Mills Company Largest Manufacturers of Household Textiles (1928 – 1945) Towels-Sheets Cannon Mills Company Leading Manufacturers of Household Textiles (1945 – 1984) FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Ribbon-cutting
Concord Mayor Zach Roberts cuts the ribbon as Bart O'Neal watches. O'Neal and Grady Shoe bought the Reid Motor Company in 1955 to form Shoe-O'Neal Motors, which was a Ford dealership. Photo courtesy of Jack Kissiah
Concord Hospital
This old newspaper clipping shows the Concord Hospital. It was the first public hospital in Cabarrus County, opening its doors in 1891 in a house on North Union Street. The clipping is part of Historic Cabarrus' collection. Courtesy of Historic Cabarrus
YMCA lobby 1960s
This room is so very beautiful, and no explanation is needed as to where and what it was, for those of us who are now “the older generation”. This picture of the YMCA lobby was taken in the 1960’s. So many wonderful memories have been made here, from 1940 until 1987 when the building was demolished. You could walk up the front curved, marble steps and you would enter another world. It was always quiet, peaceful, never empty and always welcoming. Enter the double doors on the left and you would be in the library or go up the steps to the right for an important meeting. One memory that was shared with me was from a woman remembering when she was a young girl that was not allowed to be alone with her boyfriend. However, when her dad, who worked at the YMCA, would walk through the lobby and see her sitting there on the couch with her boyfriend, all was fine. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Grand opening prize
The Rev. Mrs. Sam Kiser is quite happy as she receives a 12-gauge shotgun from co-owner Bart O'Neal of Shoe-O'Neal Motors in Concord. The shotgun was one of the prizes given away at the auto dealer's grand opening in 1955.
Rhythm Band
This picture was taken from the 1963 Eagle, which was the yearbook for the G. W. Carver School. It shows kids in the rhythm band that was directed by Mrs. Nancy F. Miller. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Ritz Store
This is a photo of the Ritz Store in downtown Concord. Henry G. Ritz opened the first Ritz store in 1898 and sold various treats and sundries to Concord citizens. Ritz relocated to the Pythian Building in 1903, and in 1907, changed the business name to Ritz Variety Store. Photo courtesy of Historic Cabarrus/Concord Museum
Kannapolis 1938
Hoffman's Confectionery was located at the corner of North Main and West First Street. There was a beauty shop above Hoffman's. Some things they sold was sodas, candy and obviously Schlitz on drought beer. Riders grabbed a taxi at the stand beside of Hoffman's. In the center, at the rear of the picture sits the building located at 101 South Ridge Avenue that became the new home of Lady's Funeral Home on December 10, 1950. The next building is the passenger train depot, with a hot dogs for sale sign in the window. The large building to the right, at the corner of South Main Street and West First Street is Belk's Department Store. This picture is dated 1938. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
1955 Ford
Visitors take an up-close look at a 1955 Ford in the showroom of Shoe-O'Neal Motors in November, 1955. The car had a 292 cubic inch engine. Notice the V8 symbol on the right front fender. Photo courtesy of Jack Kissiah
Boys Club auction
In this 1975 clipping from The Concord Tribune, Cabarrus County Boys Club Athletic Director Donnie Whittington, right, directs loading of television donated for the club’s fall auction. Assisting Whittington are Robin Biggers, left, and David Sides. Don Ayscue, who donated a pickup truck to be used at Camp T.N. Spencer during the summer, is standing on the ground. They are using the truck to collect auction merchandise.
Kannapolis aerial 1954
Aerials are full of so much information. This is a small part of a large picture of downtown Kannapolis, dated 1954. In addition to the great view of The Little Mount Vernon Memorial and Mary Ella Hall, you can see First Baptist Church. There is no dome nor is there a steeple on top. The church was remodeled in 1954 and the dome removed then. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
PX self-service grocery
In April of 1947, “Another Fine Store for the People of Kannapolis” was opened. Glen Chisholm was owner and operator. According to the ads, it was a PX self-service grocery & market – PX grill and café, that had tables for ladies and gentlemen. The store was located at the end of GI Town on the Enochville Road at Glenn Avenue. Later the building was housed by Ellie’s Barbeque and after that, Tommy’s Kitchen. The address, by then had changed to 1024 West ‘C’ Street. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Johnny's Beverages
In 1956 Joe’s Beverage was located at 800 North Cannon Boulevard and Terry’s Drive-In was on the opposite corner, at 718 North Cannon Boulevard. Johnny’s Beverage began business in 1969 at the old Joe’s location. Johnny’s was gone in 1987 and in 1989 Burger King occupied the spot. In 1991 Terry’s was no longer in business and in 1992, at 718 North Cannon Boulevard was Everybody Rides Used Cars. Courtesy of Kannapolis History Associates
Cotton Inspection
This 1974 photo is from the Cannon Mills cotton laboratory. Fletcher Hartsell Sr., Frances Morgan, left, and Barbara Davis were using a Fibrograph to examine cotton fibers. Hartsell was the supervisor of the cotton department laboratory. From Kannapolis A Pictorial History
The Buyer's Market
The Buyer’s Market, located at 1214 South Main Street was built in the early 1960s by Newmoon Jung. The front of the store was redesigned after Hurricane Hugo blew most of it away in September 1989. It is still in business and is owned and operated by his sons. The business is now known as The Carpet Connection. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE
Earnhardt wins
This 1980 photo shows Dale Earnhardt along with 20-year-old Doug Richert. It was the year the Intimidator won his first Winston Cup Championship. Richert served as crew chief after Jake "Suitcase" Elder quit at the World 600, halfway through the season. Earnhardt's car was sponsored by Mike Curb. From Kannapolis A Pictorial History, photo courtesy of Ralph Deal
Jackson Training School
This is (Stonewall) Jackson Training School in Concord c. 1909-1915 on a postcard that is in the Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards, North Carolina Collection, UNC-Chapel Hill. Stonewall Jackson Training School was established by act of the N. C. Central Assembly in 1907. It was the first and largest correctional institution in N. C., conceived not only to correct youthful offenders but also to teach them moral conduct and a trade. Such an institution was first proposed by Concord Standard newspaper editor James P. Cook in 1890. The Cabarrus Genealogy Society has much more information on its website www.cabarrusgenealogysociety.org

