Skip to main contentSkip to main content
You have permission to edit this collection.
Edit
Independent Tribune
30°
  • Log In
  • Subscribe
  • user icon Guest
  • Logout
Read Today's E-edition
  • News
    • Local
    • Business
    • Crime
    • Nation & World
    • Politics
    • State & Regional
    • Education
    • Markets & Stocks
    • News Tip
    • Cabarrus County Local News
  • Obituaries
    • Share a story
    • Recent Obituaries
    • Find an Obituary
  • Opinion
    • Submit a letter
    • Letters
    • Editorials
    • Columnists
    • Cartoons
  • Sports
    • High School
    • College
    • Basketball
    • Baseball
    • Professional
  • Lifestyles
    • Arts & Theatre
    • Movies & TV
    • Music
    • Calendar
    • Puzzmo
    • Games & Puzzles
    • Comics
    • Contests
    • Play
    • Food & Cooking
    • Home & Garden
    • Health
    • Parenting
    • Fashion
    • People
    • Pets
    • Travel
    • Faith
  • Sponsored Content
  • Join the community
    • News tip
    • Send a story
    • Share a photo
  • Brand Ave. Studios
  • Comics
  • Print Edition
    • E-edition
    • Today's Ads
    • Special Sections
    • Independent Tribune Archives
  • Buy & Sell
    • Place an Ad
    • Jobs
    • Cars
    • Marketplace
    • Public Notices
    • Shop Local
    • Today's Deal
  • Shopping
  • Customer Service
    • Manage Subscription
    • Activate Digital Subscription
    • Newsletters
    • Subscribe
    • Contact Us
    • Help Center
  • Gift Subscriptions
  • Mobile Apps
  • Weather: Live radar
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Instagram
© 2026 Lee Enterprises
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
Independent Tribune
News+
Where your story lives
Subscribe
Read Today's E-edition
Independent Tribune
News+
Where your story lives
Subscribe
  • Log In
  • user icon
    Welcome, Guest
    • My Subscription
      Help Center
    • My Account
    • Dashboard
    • Profile
    • Saved items
    • Logout
  • E-edition
  • News
  • Obituaries
  • Opinion
  • Sports
  • Puzzmo
  • Puzzles
  • Lifestyles
  • Public Notices
  • Jobs
  • 30° Mostly Cloudy
Share This
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • WhatsApp
  • SMS
  • Email
Snapshots of Cabarrus Past Volume 2
0 Comments
Share this
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • WhatsApp
  • SMS
  • Email
  • Print
  • Save
Editor's Pick

Snapshots of Cabarrus Past Volume 2

  • Jul 31, 2018
  • Jul 31, 2018 Updated Nov 14, 2022
  • 0

A collection of images from Cabarrus County's past, updated regularly.

Nursing School Awards

Nursing School Awards

The 1996 award winners for the Louise Harkey School of Nursing at Cabarrus Memorial Hospital were: Kathy Lee, George A. Batte Jr. Scholastic Achievement Award; Sharlene Sharpe, Edith M. Dennis Service Award and Robert L. Wall Leadership Award; Erika Newsom, Cannon Best-All-Around Student Award; and Maria Helms, W.R. Floyd Surgical Nursing Award. This photo appeared in The Lantern's Flame. 

Photo courtesy of Cabarrus College of Health Sciences

Class 1998 Awards

Class 1998 Awards

The Cabarrus College of Health Sciences award winners for the Louise Harkey School of Nursing in 1998 were: Tracy DeGrace (Cannon Best All Around Student), Angie Yacuzzo and Jenny Keich (George A. Batte Jr. Scholastic Achievement Award), Wanda Clowney (Robert L. Wall Leadership Award), and Sherri Goss (W.R. Floyd Surgical Nursing Award).

Photo Courtesy of Cabarrus College of Health Sciences

Housemothers

Housemothers

The housemothers for Cabarrus Memorial Hospital School of Nursing posed for this photo, which appeared in the 1969 Cap'n Pin annual for the school. They were Mrs. Gladys Simpson, left standing, Mrs.Lora Tucker and Mrs. Jessie Roach, seat. Back then nursing students stayed in a dormitory on the hospital campus. Mrs. Marie Shinn, not pictured, was the house counselor. 

Photo courtesy of Cabarrus College of Health Sciences

Award Winners

Award Winners

Award winners from the Class of 1997 posed for this photo in Lantern's Flame, the annual for the Louise Harkey School of Nursing at Cabarrus College of Health Sciences. They were: from left, Mary Anne Miller (Batte Scholastic Award and Wall Leadership Award); Hollie Willis (Best All Around); Kelly Barrier (Floyd Surgical Nursing Award); and Glenda Hunsucker (Dennis Service Award).

PHOTO COURTESY OF CABARRUS COLLEGE OF HEALTH SCIENCES

Hoffman's Confectionery

Hoffman's Confectionery

This picture of Hoffman’s Confectionery Store, dated 1939, was located at the corner of Main & First Streets. They sold magazines, papers, ice cream candy and other sweets, cigars, sodas and beer. Above Hoffman’s was The Beauty Shoppe. Headed north on Main Street was City Barber Shop, Bell Music Company, Sears Ford Motor Company and R & G used cars. 

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Christmas Queen

Christmas Queen

Paula Troutman represented the Cabarrus Memorial Hospital School of Nursing in the 1986 Concord Christmastown Express. She was the Senior Christmas Queen. Also that year, Robin Stone and Penny Caudill were Freshman Christmas Queens. The photo is from the 1987 Cap n' Pin annual.

PHOTO COURTESY OF CABARRUS COLLEGE OF HEALTH SCIENCES

CONCORD CITY HALL, 1960

CONCORD CITY HALL, 1960

This circa 1960 photo image of Concord’s 1957 City Hall at South Union and Barbrick Streets was shot from the lawn of the 1876 Cabarrus Courthouse. The City Hall shown here replaced the iconic 1902 City Hall which was sadly demolished on this same site on January 14, 1957. Some of the exterior architectural features of the long gone 1902 structure are now proudly incorporated into Concord’s new 2015 City Hall. The entrance to the Concord Police Headquarters was on the Barbrick Street side, but not shown in this image. When the Citizens Bank building was purchased in 1986 and converted for use as a City Hall, this 1957 City Hall became known as the City Hall Annex. The old annex is now vacant and waiting redevelopment. Notice that parking meters still dot the streetscape, and this building is designated as a Fallout Shelter, a civil defense measure intended to reduce casualties in a nuclear war which was feared in this era. Barbrick Avenue is named for Leonard Barbrick, one of Concord’s three original 1796 Town Commissioners.

PHOTO AND INFORMATION COURTESY OF JIM RAMSEUR

Student Nurses Donations

Student Nurses Donations

Jill Moser, president of the Association of Nursing Students at Cabarrus Memorial Hospital School of Nursing, presents a check to the Rev. H. Earl Woodall, executive director of Cooperative Christian Ministry, in December, 1990. The student nurse also contributed toys to the Empty Stocking Fund that Christmas season. The photo is from the 1991 Cap and Pin annual. 

Photo courtesy of Cabarrus College of Health Sciences

Big Sister/Little Sister Committee

Big Sister/Little Sister Committee

This is the Big Sister/Little Sister Committee from Cabarrus Memorial Hospital School of Nursing. The photo is from the 1979 Cap'n Pin annual. The group includes Donna Anderson, Louise Sides, Rhonda Saunders, Kassie Shaver, Joy Purvis, Shirley Collins, Regina Dunan, Patsy Fortune, Connie Moose, Karen Cox, Joan Tipton, Terri Lovelace, Jody Kiser, Jan Howell and Vivian Craig.

Photo Courtesy of Cabarrus College of Health Sciences

Concord-Kannapolis Bus Line

Concord-Kannapolis Bus Line

This picture was donated by Anne Wingate Little. It is the Concord-Kannapolis Bus Line, bus #2 , circa 1920’s. The body was built by The Winston-Salem Vehicle Co. in Winston-Salem, NC. The man in the picture is possibly O. A. Corriher. Please contact the Kannapolis History Associates at (704) 932-7518, if you have further information. 

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Duke Power 1947

Duke Power 1947

This picture, dated 1947 was taken by Rosco Lewis. In the left background, you can see Ritchie’s Shoe Shop. That address was listed as 112 West ‘A’ Street in the 1940 and 1956 City Directory. In the foreground is Duke Power Company and Minute Barber Shop. The address for these businesses is 139-141 West Avenue. 

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Concord Beauty College Fire

Concord Beauty College Fire

The Concord Fire Department was called to the southeast corner of Union Street South and Corban Avenue SE in 1967 to battle a night time fire at the second floor Concord Beauty College. Fowler’s Cleaners’ sign on Corban Avenue SE is seen just beyond the fire, and the famous Rolling Pin Bakery neon sign is glowing through the smoke. The Concord Tribune building not visible in this image was located on Union Street South a few doors to the right of the beauty college. The brushed aluminum street light poles were replaced with period lighting in the 1980s, and the James P. Cook historic marker has been moved across to the courthouse corner. If you were to stand today in the same spot as this image’s photographer, you would see Rotary Square on this corner and the Cabarrus Sheriff Department and Jail Annex beyond.

From the Concord Fire Department Archives – Courtey of Jim Ramseur

Beasley-Cross Chevrolet

Beasley-Cross Chevrolet

This picture was taken in December 1966 from the interior of the dealership, which was located on South Cannon Boulevard, at the time. Beasley-Cross started the Chevrolet Dealership in Kannapolis in 1944. They were located at 136 Oak Street, (now called Oak Avenue). Per the City Directory, their address in 1965 was 1520 South Cannon Boulevard. The business was located at that address until 2007 when the dealership was sold to Larry King Chevrolet. In 2008 Beasley-Cross Pre-Owned Cars – owned and operated by Gene Beasley, was opened at 1811 South Cannon Boulevard. 

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Supreme Gulf Station

Supreme Gulf Station

This is Supreme Gulf Service at 916 S. Main St. and Bethpage Road in Kannapolis from the 1930s. The 1940 City Directory said the station was owned by Edward R. Swing. The white house is now the office for Midway Methodist Church. The church fellowship hall sits where the service station was. At one time the station was run by Bruce Fisher. The business was listed in the 1969 City Directory, but not in the 1970 edition.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Midway in the 1960s

Midway in the 1960s

This picture was taken sometime after 1962, in the Midway Section of Kannapolis. The stoplight is at South Main Street and Bethpage Road, just after Midway Methodist Church. On the left is The Jewelry and Loan Co., - the Original Pawn Shop. Also on the left is Sparks Olds Car Dealership. There is a sign in one of the cars that says $88. After Sparks is Uneeda Cleaners, Ed Y. Sweet Income Tax Service, M. W. Lowrery Real Estate and, possibly Red Pig Barbeque and a drug store. On the right is Midway American Amoco Service Station. Signs advertise Royal Tires, which was probably Parker-Davis Tire Co. The gas was 25 cents per gallon. There is the Rambler Car Dealership, Midway Sinclair Service Station and Taylor’s Hatchery. Also, there is Wright Motor Co. and a Phillips 66 Service Station.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Kannapolis 1930s aerial view

Kannapolis 1930s aerial view

In this picture, you can see Trinity Methodist Church at the back left. It was built in the 1920’s and relocated to its present location on East First Street in 1952. Mary Ella Hall was completed in 1919 and was torn down in May of 1964. The dome on First Baptist Church was removed in 1954. The Gem Theater opened on December 31, 1936. The business located on West Avenue probable is Daniel Jung’s Laundry. The business on the corner of First Street and South Main is probably the Atlantic & Pacific building. The picture was probably taken in the late 1930’s.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Fisher & Sloop Service Station

Fisher & Sloop Service Station

This date of this picture is 1939. It shows the Fisher & Sloop Gulf Service Station, located at 143 to 145 West Avenue. In the background, you can see the back of H. B. Wilkinson Co. and the Montgomery Ward building. In the foreground there is a Crystal Laundry Truck. Notice the contrast of the men standing close to the Montgomery Ward sign: white shirt and necktie vs. bib overhauls. In 1939, gas was .19 cents per gallon and you could buy a new 1939 V-8 Cadillac 61 for a mere $1,345.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Cabarrus Bicentennial

Cabarrus Bicentennial

Cabarrus County Commissioners, former commissioners and representatives of former commissioners posed for a photo at the opening ceremony of the Cabarrus County Bicentennial in 1992. Pictured are: front front, from left, Ken Payne, Carolyn Carpenter, Marcelle Milloway Upright, Billy Hamby, Jeff Barnhart; second row, John Hammett, Estus White, Charles Gallimore, Bob McClary, Troy Cook; third row, James Lentz, Ralph Bonds, Giles Moss, Nell McCray, Conelia "Corrie" Lyles, Mrs. Trudy Lampert; and fourth row, Dr. Oren Hill, Hazel Roberts Nash and Martha Melvin.

Photo and information courtesy of Judge Billy Hamby and Judge Clarence Horton

South Main 1956

South Main 1956

Do you remember when Belk’s, Penney’s and Rose’s was on South Main Street? This picture is dated 1956 and is looking south toward the Montgomery Ward Building on the back right. According to the 1956 City directory, the stores on the left are: Belk’s, Graham Building, Whitmire Falls Jewelers, Singer Sewing Machine Co., Hill’s Clothing (men’s), Mann’s Cut-Rate Drug, Haney & Holbrook (men’s), Willeford Jewelers, Kinney Shoes, PHR Cradle Shop (infants) and Merritt Shoe Co. On the right going south, are The Jewel Shoppe, Query Brothers Clothing (men’s), Rose’s 5-10-15, J. C. Penney, Myer’s Bootery, vacancy, Efird’s Department Store, W. T. Grant, My Shop (women’s) and Kannapolis Drug Company.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Concord Christmas Parade 1956

Concord Christmas Parade 1956

Concord Christmas Parade 1956 In anticipation of this Saturday's Concord Christmas Parade we revisit the parade of 1956. From 1928 throughout the 1960s, the Concord Christmas Parade was held on Wednesday afternoons. This entry from Concord High School, a float titled "Home for Christmas," is seen on South Union Street just south of the square. Today, in the place of the businesses shown in the background one would find Cabo Winery, Ellie's Coffee Shop, and professional offices. Don't miss this year's 88th Annual Concord Christmas Parade, beginning at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF CONCORD HIGH SCHOOL. COURTESY OF MICHAEL EURY.

Centerview Toy Band

Centerview Toy Band

This picture was taken in May 1938. It is the Toy Band from Centerview School in Kannapolis. Please contact the Kannapolis History Associates at (704) 932-7518 if you can help with any names. Someone will be available on Tuesday and Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Progress Magazine 1976

Progress Magazine 1976

The Lawson Bond's photo image (from Progress Magazine) shows the 1907 WWI German cannon (field gun) adorning the front lawn of the Concord Library in October 1976. My photo image of the Gazebo shows the new home of the restored cannon, which will be dedicated tomorrow on Veterans Day. This gazebo is located only steps away from where you see the cannon sitting in this October 1976 image. The restored copper plaque is mounted on the cannon. I have been talking and writing about returning this cannon to Downtown Concord since 1990. The stars and planets lined up properly and the cannon officially come home Friday in a Veterans Day ceremony. 

PHOTO COURTESY OF JIM RAMSEUR

Armistice Day Parade

Armistice Day Parade

This picture of the 1939 Armistice Day Parade in Kannapolis shows the J.W. Cannon High School Band with first drum major Bernice Winecoff leading. The band is marching north on North Main Street past the old Durham House and Wrenn Cleaning and Dyeing. Armistice Day celebrated the armistice signed between the Allied Forces of World War I and Germany at Compiegne, France, marking the end of hostilities in western Europe at 11 a.m. It was the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of 1918. The celebration eventually evolved into Veterans Day. 

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Cheerleaders 1927

Cheerleaders 1927

The Kannapolis High School Cheerleading squad in 1927 consisted of Olin Scarboro and Blanche Walter. This was the first year cheerleaders were featured in the school’s yearbook, “The Pioneer”. One of their favorite cheers was: E-yi-yi, E-yi-yi, Kannapolis Hi, I-diddy-di, I-diddy-di, Kannapolis Hi, E-yi-yi, I-diddy-di, Kannapolis Hi Hi Hi.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Graduating Twice

Graduating Twice

How you like to graduate from the same high school twice? From 1943 to 1945, 73 students did just that at Cannon High School in Kannapolis. In 1943, Kannapolis schools transitioned from an 11-year to a 12-year curriculum. The next three years, those who got an 11-year diploma were given the choice of returning the next year and earning a 12-year diploma. Thanks to Donna Cline Coone for saving and donating this interesting slice of history to the Kannapolis History Associates museum.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Concord's WWI Cannon, 1940s

Concord's WWI Cannon, 1940s

Concord's WWI Cannon, 1940s Throughout the mid-20th century, this 1907 World War I German cannon, originally a gift from France, was proudly displayed outside of Memorial Hall (the original Concord Museum), beside the former Concord Public Library which was located on North Union Street at Holly Lane (now Killarney Avenue). In this 1940s photograph, members of the United Daughters of the Confederacy are gathered, including preservationist Mrs. Ruth Coltrane Cannon (seated front row, right), the wife of longtime Cannon Mills head Charles A. Cannon. Thanks to the hard work of the City of Concord, Jim Ramseur, and other interested parties, the refurbished WWI cannon has been returned to a place of prominence in downtown Concord, in a newly constructed gazebo on North Union Street in front of Central United Methodist Church's parking lot. 

FROM THE BOOK "LEGENDARY LOCALS OF CONCORD" BY MICHAEL EURY.

Whitley's Ground-breaking

Whitley's Ground-breaking

Whitley's Funeral Home Ground-breaking, 1985 On February 22, 1985, ground-breaking ceremonies were held for the construction of Whitley's Funeral Home's new 16,000 sq. ft. facility at Centergrove Road and Cook Street in Kannapolis. The ceremony was dedicated to the Whitley's staff members and to the people that Whitley's had served in a Memorial Tribute. Pictured from left to right: Whit Whitley, staff member; Mrs. Millie Brown, staff member; Bob Cooper, staff member; Charles Long, staff member; David Whitley, staff member; Mrs. Johnette Whitley, staff member; Bill Whitley, staff member; Richard Harrington, staff member; Bachman Brown, Kannapolis interim mayor; Lester Biggerstaff, staff member; Tom Dayvault, executive director, Kannapolis Chamber of Commerce; Rick Rodgers, president, Kannapolis Chamber of Commerce; Carl Brown, president, Kannapolis Construction Company; Alex Cruse, staff member; George Peeler, staff member; Hoyle Day, staff member; and Jim Alexander, staff member. 

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF WHITLEY'S FUNERAL HOME. COURTESY OF ROSE RUMMEL-EURY.

Oak Avenue 1941

Oak Avenue 1941

A fire on April 24, 1927 destroyed three buildings on North Main Street. This was where many of the fraternal organizations held their meetings, including the Woodmen. After the fire, they began meeting in a building on Oak Avenue. This picture of Oak Avenue, looking north, dated 1941and shows the beautiful mansard roof. The building still stands today. Also, pictured, are the following businesses: Auto Finance, a Cabarrus Motor Supply Truck and the Sinclair Service Station.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Student Nurses Association

Student Nurses Association

This is the 1981 Student Nurses Association members at Cabarrus Memorial Hospital School of Nursing. The photo originally appeared in the 1981 Cap N' Pin annual.

Photo Courtesy of Cabarrus College of Health Sciences

MPCI basketball

MPCI basketball

The 1923-24 Mt. Pleasant Collegiate Institute basketball team won 21 games and lost two. Pictured from left are Joe Goodman, Lee Bonham, Comer Body, John Kurfees, Major Abbagotti, Chuck (last name unknown), Rudolph Lingle and Dewy Duncan. Bonham, the last surviving member of the team, donated the photo in 1989.

PHOTO COURTESY OF EASTERN CABARRUS HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Student Body Council

Student Body Council

This is the Student Body Council at the Cabarrus Memorial Hosptial School of Nursing. The picture appeared in the 1988 Cap n'Pin yearbook. Pictured are: front from left, Bobbi Foster, Tracy Eudy, Jamie Davis, Rachael Austin, Amber Love, and Lisa Coley; and the back row, Michelle Terry, Missy Bell, James York, Penny Caudill, Stephanie Honbarger, Emily Troutman, Amy Mann, Jessica Hinson, Angela Kirley, Gwen Little and Teresa Young.

Photo Courtesy of Cabarrus College of Health Sciences

Eddie's Curb Market

Eddie's Curb Market

This undated picture shows Eddie’s Curb Market. It is listed in the City Directory from 1957-1974 and was owned and/or operated by Edward A. Hunsucker. Eddie’s was located at 869 West C. Street from 1957 to 1964 and then from 1965 to 1974, it was located at 1413 West C. Street. In the 1959 Directory, it says the store sold groceries, meat, fresh produce and Sinclair Oil products. The phone number was WEbster3-8395.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Tom Thumb Wedding

Tom Thumb Wedding

This is a picture of the Tom Thumb Wedding from Woodrow Wilson Elementary School. Rebecca Mesimer, bride of Danny Holbrook, is escorted by her father, Tony Tate. They were married by Scott Bostian in the school auditorium during the 1956-57 school year. Use of Photo Courtesy of Rebecca Mesimer and Tony Tate, 

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDEMESIMER AND TONY TATE)

Montgomery Ward building

Montgomery Ward building

The Montgomery Ward building, built in 1930, was at the corner of 150 S. Main St. and West B Street. The Professional Building was located next to Montgomery Ward. This picture was taken in September, 1990, just prior to the demolition of the buildings in January, 1991.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Midway Barber Shop

Midway Barber Shop

Midway Barber Shop was located at 827 S. Main St., Kannapolis. The building is still there today. This picture was taken in the 1940s. According to the 1956 City Directory, the owner at the time was Henry C. Gaddy. 

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Jackson Park Skating Rink

Jackson Park Skating Rink

The first roller rink in Kannapolis was in an old tent in the Jackson Park area. The rink was nothing more than a wooden floor with a tent covering it. This photo was taken in the late 1930s.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Kannapolis High School, 1924

Kannapolis High School, 1924

This is a picture of Kannapolis High School” and Faculty in 1924. Before Central High School (later renamed J.W. Cannon) opened in Kannapolis in 1925, the high school curriculum was part of South School (later McIver School) which was the only school in town and included all grades in one 4-room building. The “Kannapolis High School” began classes here in 1919 and graduated five girls in 1921. The first yearbook, the Pioneer, was produced in 1924. Shown in the inset is the entire faculty of Kannapolis High School in 1924 including principal R.C. Cannon. There were 21 students in the senior class. Today there are 322 students in the senior class at A.L. Brown High School and 150 faculty members.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Rose's Grand Opening

Rose's Grand Opening

This photo taken by Earl Graham, was in celebration of the grand opening for Rose’s 5-10-25, located on West Avenue. The Grand Opening occurred on August 6, 1958. Prior to moving to 134 West Avenue, they were located in the 100 block of South Main Street next to Query Brothers, which was next to The Jewel Shoppe. The lovely towel dresses are being modeled by Mrs. Dorothy Smith, Mrs. Mary Ann Griffin, Miss Jatanna Lewis.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Kannapolis YMCA

Kannapolis YMCA

This is a picture showing the first YMCA in Kannapolis, which was named in honor of David Franklin Cannon, Mr. J. W. Cannon’s brother. When Mr. Cannon started the town, some of the first things he did was have McIver School and this YMCA built. The one cent stamp on this postcard was cancelled by the post office on December 21, 1913. The handwritten note on the back is from one sister in Kannapolis to another sister in Gastonia. In the note, she comments that this is where she went to hear preaching last Sunday. You can see the fountain running in the picture. 

(Picture donated by Marty Gillespie McMahon) – Courtesy of the Kannapolis History Associates and Shelley McBride.

Women's Basketball

Women's Basketball

This photo and caption of the 1914 YMCA women's basketball team appeared in the Daily Independent's 75th Anniversary Edition published Oct. 19, 1981.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

KANNAPOLIS MEMORIAL STADIUM

KANNAPOLIS MEMORIAL STADIUM

KANNAPOLIS MEMORIAL STADIUM Construction begain in early 1958 and cost $96,000 to build. It was designed as natural bowl layout. The home side could accomodate 4,000 and the visitors 2,000. The stadium officially opened for the first play on September 5, 1958 and was dedicated to the heroes from our community who sacrificed their lives in defense of our country. First Baptist Church can be seen in the far left. Town lake and some of the business can be seen in the central background.

PHOTO FROM SCOTT BOGGS/FRIDAY NIGHTS IN K-TOWN COURTESY OF KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES

Midway from the Air

Midway from the Air

A aerial view of South Main Street in Kannapolis shows Home Realty, which was established in 1949. The What-A-Burger #10, with the red drive-in awning, opened in 1964. The Utility Payment Center building has been a bank, an Asian Restaurant and a pizza restaurant.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Cabarrus District Fair

Cabarrus District Fair

The Cabarrus District Fair, a ten county regional event, began in the 1920s and was located just behind Concord Parkway's S&D Coffee & Tea. These October fairs were operated by Mr. Joe Cannon and Dr. T. N. Spencer and ran at least until 1934. Southern Railway even sold reduced rate tickets from Spartanburg, Albemarle, Hickory, Rock Hill and other towns. The most popular event was the $300 purse horse races and the auto races as reflected on the front of the 1933 fair program. These races were viewed from a huge wooden grandstand overlooking the oval track. The hungry fair patrons were satisfied by the food prepared and served by the local churches. Notice was given, however, to the fair patrons that the management would make every effort to prevent pick-pockets from working, but suggested the patrons not bring large sums of money so as to prevent problems. There were many rides, and each night was capped with an Ohio Fireworks show at 8:00pm. That was a pretty good deal for the nightly admission of a quarter. Courtesy of Jim Ramseur

Photo Courtesy of Jim Ramseur

Cabarrus District Fair

Cabarrus District Fair

The Cabarrus District Fair, a ten county regional event, began in the 1920s and was located just behind Concord Parkway's S&D Coffee & Tea. These October fairs were operated by Mr. Joe Cannon and Dr. T. N. Spencer and ran at least until 1934. Southern Railway even sold reduced rate tickets from Spartanburg, Albemarle, Hickory, Rock Hill and other towns. The most popular event was the $300 purse horse races and the auto races as reflected on the front of the 1933 fair program. These races were viewed from a huge wooden grandstand overlooking the oval track. The hungry fair patrons were satisfied by the food prepared and served by the local churches. Notice was given, however, to the fair patrons that the management would make every effort to prevent pick-pockets from working, but suggested the patrons not bring large sums of money so as to prevent problems. There were many rides, and each night was capped with an Ohio Fireworks show at 8:00pm. That was a pretty good deal for the nightly admission of a quarter. Courtesy of Jim Ramseur

Photo Courtesy of Jim Ramseur

Carolina Coach

Carolina Coach

This Carolina Coach photo and caption were from the Welcome to Kannapolis Newsletter. 

From the archives of the Kannapolis History Associates, courtesy of Shelley McBride

VFW LITTLE LEAGUE 1961

VFW LITTLE LEAGUE 1961

Many of these boys played on the next year (1962) VFW Team that won the State Title of the NC Recreation Commission Midget Baseball Leagues. Front: Dale Cook, First Row from left: Dan Dayvault, Donnie Smith, Larry Durham, Randy Goins, Don Hines, Steve Goodman, Butch Mattox - Second Row: Rex Mesimer, Ronnie Griffin, Phil Riner, Randy Triece, Steve Hudson, Rick Burris Third Row: Steve Lambert, Leroy Goodman, Luther Woodward, Frank Alley, Billy Erwin, Mike Callicutt, Tommy Johnston Back: Coach Bill Mesimer.

Picture courtesy of the Kannapolis History Associates and Randy Triece

Hartsell Baseball

Hartsell Baseball

The Hartsell Mill baseball team posed for this photo in July, 1938. For many years, especially before World War II the mills around Cabarrus County boasted some of the best baseball teams anywhere including Hartsell Mill.

PHOTO COURTESY OF GEORGE PATTERSON

Class of '71 Officers

Class of '71 Officers

The officers for the Cabarrus Memorial Hospital School of Nursing had a little fun taking their group photo for the Cap and Pin yearbook in 1971. The officers were Beth Dunn, president; Vickie Almond, vice president; Vicky Turner, secretary; and Janice Hall, treasurer. The school is now called the Cabarrus College of Health Sciences.

FROM 1971 CAP AND PIN COURTESY OF CABARRUS COLLEGE OF HEALTH SCIENCES

William Baxter Harrison Grocery

William Baxter Harrison Grocery

William Baxter Harrison sold meat, cheese, produce, kerosene, tobacco products, soft drinks, and much more at his store on Spring Street near the intersection of Chestnut Drive. His family contributed this photograph to the Cabarrus County Heritage book?. Son Bill estimated that the photo was taken around 1937, from a spot about six feet inside the front door. "As you can see," he observed, "more than six people would make a crowd in the store." 

Photo Courtesy of Cabarrus Library Local History Blog and Cabarrus Genealogy Society

Rose's 1956

Rose's 1956

Rose's in 1956 was on South Main Street and still bore the 5, 10 and 25-cent sign. It later moved to West Avenue. This shot also shows Query Brother and the Jewel Shoppe, occupying 100 to 106 S. Main St. The stores still had awnings. 

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

The Jewel Shoppe

The Jewel Shoppe

The Jewel Shoppe was located South Main Street when this photos was taken March 4, 1956. Hill's Clothing Store was on the First Street side of the building, which had three additions. Fraternal organizations met in the upstairs rooms. Later WRKB Radio, then owned by Foy T. Hinson, was in the building. A set of stairs outside was used to access the second floor in the back.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Kannapolis Chamber of Commerce

Kannapolis Chamber of Commerce

Kannapolis Chamber of Commerce Executive Vice President Tom Dayvault and President Rickard moved offices to the remodel home on South Main Street. The Chamber was formed in 1977 and 450 members by the time this photo was taken in 1985. Kannapolis officially became a city on Dec. 11, 1984.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

North Main Street

North Main Street

In 1938 Kannapolis Drug Company had two phone numbers 97 and 98. Facing north here on Main Street you can see Western Union, H.B. Wilkinson & Company, The Funeral Home, Efird's Department Store, Robinson's Better Store for Women and others. The banner across the street "But Katy Did" is a mystery. 

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Victory Bell

Victory Bell

In this photo image from the early 1960s, Concord High School's Chief Cheerleader, Sue Proctor, rings the victory bell which was then in possession of Concord. Concord and Kannapolis began playing their annual football matchups in the 1930s, but the cherished bell did not become the winner's prize until 1950 when Southern Railway donated the bell. Not only was Sue CHS's Chief Cheerleader in 1964, but she was also voted to have the best school spirit. 

PHOTO COURTESY OF JIM RAMSEUR

Local Gideon presents 200-millionth Bible to President Carter

Local Gideon presents 200-millionth Bible to President Carter

Gideons International President Don Efird of Kannapolis, center, and Gideons Executive director M.A. Henderson, left, are shown presenting the 200-millionth copy of a Gideon Bible to President Jimmy Carter in the Oval Room of the White House. This photo was first published in The Concord Tribune on Oct. 6, 1978.

Arlene Griffin Eagle

Arlene Griffin Eagle

What an iconic picture. Taken in 1944, it shows the fashion and hair styles of the times, plus a mini history of Cannon Mills. In the background you can see the sign and only one smoke stack. The first smoke stack was erected in 1928 and the second one was erected in 1950. Both were brought down on August 10, 2006. Arlene Griffin Eagle is the grandmother of Phil Eagle.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Fun in the Sun at Lledo Lake

Fun in the Sun at Lledo Lake

Information about Cabarrus County’s one-time swimming attraction Lledo (“Odell” spelled backwards) Lake was recently shared on this page. Here’s another view of the lake, circa late 1930s, as seen through the camera of Zack L. Roberts, 

COURTESY OF MICHAEL EURY.

Nursing School Picnic

Nursing School Picnic

Students at the Cabarrus Memorial Hospital School of Nursing went on a picnic at the Buffalo Ranch during the 1968-69 academic year. One of highlights captured here in the Cap 'n Pine school annual was a deer eating from one of the student's plates.

PHOTO COURTESY OF CABARRUS COLLEGE OF HEALTH SCIENCES

A Girl Scout History Mystery

A Girl Scout History Mystery

No details were available about this wonderful photo by legendary Concord photographer Zack L. Roberts thought to have been taken in the 1940s of this gathering of girl scouts. If you can identify the event, location, and any of the people depicted, please contact the editor at mplemmons@indenpendenttribune.com.

COURTESY OF MICHAEL EURY.

Red Cross men

Red Cross men

Red Cross Men, circa 1930s Four prominent Cabarrus businessmen posed for photographer Zack L. Roberts at an activity involving the Red Cross, presumably in the late 1930s. At far left is Oliver A. Swaringen, a Concord grocer and the longtime president of the Concord Merchants Association. The other gentlemen are unidentified; if you can identify them, please contact the editor at mplemmons@indenpendenttribune.com.

COURTESY OF MICHAEL EURY.

Calvary Lutheran Pastors

Calvary Lutheran Pastors

Calvary Lutheran Church in Concord celebrated homecoming in September of 1987. This photo made in the narthex of Calvary's church on Lake Concord Road shows former pastors Dr. Leonard Bolick, center, and Dr. Walter Yount, right, who both joined the current pastor, Dr. John Boyd, left, in the service that day. Dr. Bolick later served as Bishop of the North Carolina Lutheran Church from 1997 - 2015. Calvary relocated to the corner of Branchview and Bradley in 2000 and its Lake Concord campus was sold to Northeast Medical Center who demolished the structure. The oak trees planted by the men of Calvary in the 1950s still tower over the old Calvary site which is located adjacent to the helicopter pad at Carolinas Healthcare Northeast. Calvary is again celebrating homecoming on July 31, 2016, and Dr. Bolick will be joining the present Calvary pastor, Dr. Deborah Frye in the service by delivering the sermon. 

From the archives of Calvary Lutheran Church by Jim Ramseu

Concord Fire Station #2

Concord Fire Station #2

The City of Concord held a dedication and ribbon cutting for its new Fire Station 2 in the summer of 1973 marking the first expansion from the non-volunteer main station. There were two previous ‘outlying’ volunteer stations which were disbanded in 1941 when the present day Fire Station 1 was completed. One of these volunteer stations was on Kerr Street NW on the corner now occupied by the Clearwater Artist’s Studio and the other at Cabarrus Mill. Those behind the ribbon in the photo are believed to be from the left: Mayor Alfred Brown, Aldermen Jim Dorton, Bernie Edwards, O. J. Baucom, Harold McEachern, and Springs McCoy, City Manager J. P. Francis, unidentified, Aldermen Jim Wilkinson and J. W. (Mickey) McGee. Edwards and McEachern both were later elected as Mayor of Concord. John A. Fisher was Fire Chief. Fire Station 2 is still proudly serving Concord on Palaside Drive in northeast Concord.

From the Concord Fire Department Archives by Jim Ramseur

Gem Theatre, 1970

Gem Theatre, 1970

Keever's Photography Studio captured this image of the Gem Theatre on Sept. 10, 1970. The now classic "Patton" starring George C. Scott was playing. Also in the photo are Family Finance & Acceptance Corporation of Kannapolis and the Cannon Mills Medical Office on West First Street.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Johnston’s Furniture Store, 1939

Johnston’s Furniture Store, 1939

General Electric’s new “touch tuning” radio was the rage in 1939, afforded this attractive display in the window of Johnston’s Furniture Store in downtown Concord. Johnston’s was located at the corner of Union Street South and Barbrick, where Positively Ballroom can be found today.

PHOTOGRAPH BY ZACK L. ROBERTS. COURTESY OF MICHAEL EURY.

Southern Avenue, 1947

Southern Avenue, 1947

This Duke photo shows Southern Avenue in 1947. Suma's, last owned by Harriett Adams Yates, My Shop, Hile Wrenn, Town City Towel Company Miller Jones Shoes and Miss Deb's were located in this part of Kannapolis. 

FFROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Duke Power

Duke Power

In 1938, the Duke Power, now Duke Energy, was on South Main Street in Kannapolis. Mokison's Credit was on the left and Belk's Bargain was at the rear. It appears the ladder in place was there to replace the missing "E".

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Mount Pleasant Collegiate Institute

Mount Pleasant Collegiate Institute

The cadets at Mount Pleasant Collegiate Institute are doing drills in this photo that appeared in the 1931 MPCI Yearbook. It appears the photo was taken before the school changed styles of uniforms in 1928.

FROM EASTERN CABARRUS HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Church Street Traffic, Prewar Years

Church Street Traffic, Prewar Years

Photographer Zack L. Roberts captured the hustle-bustle of downtown Concord in this picture taken, judging from the automobiles, in the late 1930s or early 1940s. The traffic is moving north on Church Street at the intersection of Depot Street, now known as Cabarrus Avenue. Today the Maxwell Bros. & Collins Furniture Store is the site of the Lofts 29 apartments, and a law firm occupies the space where the Sinclair service station operated.

Mark Plemmons

Peter Pan at Paramount Theatre

Peter Pan at Paramount Theatre

Downtown Concord once boasted several movie theaters of varying sizes, including the Paramount Theatre, which was located at 9 Union Street North, where Pix Boutique, Mekong Thai Restaurant, and office and business suites are found today. The Paramount, which began as the Concord Theatre, was originally home to live stage shows, but as this photograph by Zack L. Roberts shows, once it transitioned to movies, actors and even visiting stars occasionally graced its stage for special events. While the date of this photograph is unknown, the actress on stage appears to be dressed as Peter Pan. The Paramount Theatre later became the Center, then the Cinema, before closing in the mid-1970s after the newly opened Carolina Mall introduced the metroplex to the community.

COURTESY OF MICHAEL EURY.

Concord Belk’s Ladies’ Department, 1940s

Concord Belk’s Ladies’ Department, 1940s

It is believed that this photograph by legendary photographer Zack L. Roberts was taken inside the Belk’s department store that for decades was the anchor in the thriving downtown Concord shopping district. Belk’s was located at 11 Union Street South until moving to the newly opened Carolina Mall in 1973. Today a variety of businesses and organizations occupy the former Belk’s building, including J. Talbert Ltd., Howard’s, Havana Carolina Café, Villani’s Bakery, and the Cabarrus Arts Guild. COURTESY OF MICHAEL EURY

COURTESY OF MICHAEL EURY

Lentz Hotel

Lentz Hotel

The Lentz Hotel is the oldest existing commercial building in Cabbarrus County. It was built in 1853 and stood near the center of Mount Pleasant until it was moved to College Street near the Eastern Cabarrus Historial Museum in 1980. It's style is "Carpenter Gothic" and was designed by architect Andrew Downing Jackson.

From U.S. National Historic Places

Lledo Lake

Lledo Lake

Swimmers enjoyed the cool water on a hot day in June, 1938 at Lledo Lake on Cold Spring Road. The lake had been Frank Pounds Lake. It was acquired by A.G. Odell and the name changed to Lledo, which is Odell spelled backwards.

PHOTO BY ZACK ROBERTS, COURTSEY OF GEORGE PATTERSON

Martin's Sun-drop billboard

Martin's Sun-drop billboard

Sun-drop figures prominently in this 1960s billboard for Martin's restaurant. The photo comes from the book "A Century of Sodas, The Story of Uncle Tommy and Margaret" by Edward L. Rankin Jr. The book tracks the history of soft drinks in Cabarrus County from 1904 to 2004 leading up to present day Sun-drop Bottling Company on Branchview Drive in Concord.

West First Street

West First Street

This house sits on West First Street before the Gem Theatre and Gable's. In the 1920s, you can see Cannon Mills Plant 4 in the background and First Baptist Church on the right. The house was once Kannapolis Laundry and the Jung home. Before that it was the Lowe's Store. It was moved to the location.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

West First Street, 1947

West First Street, 1947

In March, 1947, Gables, W.H.L. Jewelers, Kannapolis Hardware, Imperial Life Insurance Company and Bradshaw's Beauty Salon occupied 117 to 121 West First Street in Kannapolis. Bradshaw's phone number was 548.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Cool Spot on a Hot Day

Cool Spot on a Hot Day

From the 1940s through the 1960s, the coolest hangout in Concord was the YMCA (or Rec Center) swimming pool, on Union Street North in downtown. Concord educator John McInnis supervised aquatic activities at the “Y” for years. The pool was sandwiched between the Concord Public Library and Community Center in the front, Fire Station No. 1 in the back, and Central (United) Methodist Church from the side. Except for the Fire Station, the pool and the other buildings were demolished in the early 1970s, with Central erecting a new sanctuary and the current Library being constructed across the street. 

PHOTO FROM THE CONCORD PUBLIC LIBRARY AND COURTESY OF MICHAEL EURY, FROM HIS BOOK, "IMAGES OF AMERICA: CONCORD."

John McInnis' Class

John McInnis' Class

Famed Concord educator John McInnis, back center, is shown with his sixth grade class in 1940 at Coltrane-Webb School. The City of Concord recognized his efforts as a teacher and administrator by naming the city pool after him. Students pictured are: front from left, Elizabeth Griffin Don Hopkins, Billy Gray, Billy Ray Helton, Don Hinson, Paul Hinson and Joe Misenheimer; second row, unknown, Dorothy Kluttz, Gwen Johnson, Jean Kluttz, Helen Moore, unknown and Betty Jean Little; third row, Patsy Irwin, Betty Martin, Betty Howard, Joan Melchor, Daniel Irwin, James Green and Ed Haigler; and fourth row, Eddie McLean, Ruth Porter, Edith McLester, Edith Lewis, Betty Limerick and two unknown students.

Photo Courtesy of Dr. David Crosland and friends

Oak Avenue 1942

Oak Avenue 1942

Cannon Mills Plant 4 is seen in the distance, looking south on Oak Avenue past the Sinclair Service Station in 1942.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

J.W. Cannon High

J.W. Cannon High

In 1924 J. W. Cannon High School (Central) was built on South Rose Avenue, Kannapolis. It was completed about the end of the year, so students first attended classes in the new building in January 1925. The building burned in l934, and was rebuilt in l935. The School was known as Central High School from 1925-1929, then J.W. Cannon High School beginning in 1930. Its yearbook was the “Pioneer.” Before the 1934 fire, there was an arch over the entryway, shown in the photo above right. The arch was replaced by a more decorative front after the 1934 fire. 

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

4th Grade 1939

4th Grade 1939

This is the class picture for Mrs. Barrier's 4th Grade at Coltrane-Webb School in 1939. The class members are: front, from left, Don Hopkins, Don Hinson, Paul Hinson, Billy R. Hilton, Elizabeth Griffin, Billy Gray, Geraldine Johnson, Eddie Ray McLain and Rosa McGee; second row, Dorothy Kluttz, unknown, Betty Martin, Daniel Irvin, Joan Melchor and two more identified people; third row, Earl Ledbetter, Betty Howard, James Green, Patsy Irvin, Minnie Fay Bryant, Betty Little, Edith Lewis, and unknown; fourth row, David Hopkins, three unidentified people, Ed Haigler, unknown, Eddie McLean and unknown; and fifth row, unknown, Andrea Black, Betty Limerick, Frances Green and unknown. Mrs. Barrier is in the back. 

Photo courtesy of Dr. David Crosland and Friends

Lowe Brothers

Lowe Brothers

Lowe Brothers had one of the first building on South Main Street in Kannapolis. This photo from 1915 shows signs advertising furniture, coffins and casketts. A horse-drawn hearse is also in the photo.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

First Grade 1936

First Grade 1936

The first grade at Central Primary School in Concord lined up on what is now Coltrane-Webb Elementary School for the class picture in 1936. A few of the class members have been identified. In the front row, Dorothy Kluttz is third from the left and Billy R. Helton is second from the right. Libby Boulus is third from the left on the second row. The last four students on the second row are Tommy Williams, from left, Pat Moore, Bill Gray and Helen Moore. Ed Haigler is third from the left on the third row and Willie Ruth Readling is second from right. On the back row, Betty Small is second from left, Daniel Irwin is fifth from left, and Eddie McLean is on the right end. 

PHOTO COURTSEY OF DR. DAVID CROSLAND AND FRIENDS

Concord Board of Aldermen

Concord Board of Aldermen

This undated photo image shows the Concord Board of Aldermen meeting in the Council Chambers of the 1957 Concord City Hall, then located on the NW corner of South Union Street and Barbrick Avenue SW. This structure was most recently known as the City Hall Annex until the new City Hall opened in December 2015. The Alderman from Ward 1 who would be on the far left is not shown in this image. Others shown from left to right are believed to be Jim Dorton - Ward 2, Jim Wilkinson - Ward 3, J. P. Francis - City Manager, Alfred Brown - Mayor, Clyde Propst Jr - City Attorney, Bernie Edwards - Ward 4, O. J. Baucom – Ward 5, Harold McEachern – Ward 6, and Mickey McGee – At Large. On the front row of the audience holding what looks to be a camera is newspaper reporter Marvin Eury. Mr. Francis served as City Manager from 1969-1973, therefore dating this image to that period. Concord’s Governing Body changed its name to City Council in the late 1990s. This Council Chamber was converted to office space after the City Hall moved up the street to the old Citizens Bank building in 1986. Notice that ash trays still dotted the desk top.

PHOTO FROM THE CITY OF CONCORD ARCHIVES COURTESY OF JIM RAMSEUR

J.W. Cannon Swingsters

J.W. Cannon Swingsters

The J.W. Cannon High School Swingsters perform on stage in 1943. This photo comes from the 1944 Cannon Report. Pictured in front, from left, are Franklin Pethel, Ronald Alexander, Ralph Brandon, Bobby Barnhardt, Jimmy Brown and Johnny Gaeber; second row, Lindy Stephens, Billy Fesperman, Jay Wise, Bobby Hipps and Herbert Bray. The trio is Phyllis Hartis, Billie Doris Watt (Fowler) and Margaret Brooks. 

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

South Main and First, 1966

South Main and First, 1966

A team of ladies dressed in "Stop" and "Slow" dresses place flyers on the windshields of cars at the corner of South Main Street and First Street in 1966. Sears Robuck, Diana Shops and Myers Bootery are seen in the back.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Hoffman's

Hoffman's

Hoffman's was at 101 N. Main St., Kannapolis, when this photo was taken Aug. 27, 1946. The round sign on the second story is for the barber shop. On the left of the photo, there is a U.S. 29 highway sign.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Lakeview Service Station

Lakeview Service Station

Kannapolis Ice & Fuel and the Lakeview Service Station stood at the road rail crossing in downtown Kannapolis. The station is on the far right and has a Coca Cola bottle. The dome from First Baptist Church can be seen, so the photo had to be taken prior to 1954. 

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Cannon Mills c. 1916

Cannon Mills c. 1916

Cannon Mills looked very different in this aerial shot taken about 1916. The main office is on the left and behind it is Plant 1. Plant 2 (Nee Patterson Manufacturing Company) is on the right.The large house on the right was a boarding house. Plant 1 would eventually consist of seven mills and employ more than 16,000. The photo was taken before the iconic smoke stacks were built.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Logan's Shoes

Logan's Shoes

Logan's Inc., a shoe store, was located at 105 W. First St., Kannapolis. This photo was taken in March, 1951. 

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Jackson Park Sunday School Class

Jackson Park Sunday School Class

The Kelly Hill Sunday School Class at Jackson Park Baptist Church posed for this picture in the early 1950s. They are, from left, Kelly Hill, Tommy Rogers, Bobby Wright, Gery Brewer, Dock Howell, Johnny Nash, Ray Atwood, Jimmie Wilkerson, Ralph Diggs, Wayne Fritz and Jimmy Beck.

Photo by T.L. Wright, courtesy of Jimmie Wilkerson

Cabarrus Theater, 1950

Cabarrus Theater, 1950

The art deco Cabarrus Theater opened shortly after its construction in 1939 joining at least three other movie theaters in Downtown Concord. This circa 1950 image of the theater was made by Concordian George Ballenger. The upper portion of the ticket booth was glass enclosed and this WWII era Admission sign hung earlier inside the glass of the ticket booth. Notice that a new war tax had been added to the admission price. The bike racks were for the convenience of the many youngsters whose preferred mode of transportation to the movies was by bicycle. The Hotel Concord still looms over the theater building, but all of its exterior architectural features were removed during its conversion to bank office space.

Photo courtesy of Jim Ramseur

Remembering Sheriff J.B. Roberts

Remembering Sheriff J.B. Roberts

Cabarrus County has lost one of its local legends, retired Sheriff James Bost “J.B.” Roberts Jr., who died Monday, May 9, at age 96. Roberts cheated death during World War II, surviving for hours in the Pacific Ocean after the Japanese sank the Navy ship on which he served, the U.S.S. Yorktown. He joined the sheriff’s department as a deputy in 1951 and was tapped to replace Sheriff E.M. “Tubby” Logan in 1956. Roberts was sheriff for nearly three decades, until 1982.

PHOTO FROM THE BOOK “LEGENDARY LOCALS OF CONCORD” BY MICHAEL EURY. COURTESY OF THE AUTHOR.

The Daily Independent

The Daily Independent

North Main Street in 1956 had the Kannapolis Publishing Company, The Daily Independent, Maxwell Brother, Mills Florist, and Ludwig Photography Studio. 

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Puritan Laundry Cleaners

Puritan Laundry Cleaners

The Puritan Laundry Cleaners was located at 311 West A St., Kannapolis. The property is vacant today.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Cabarrus County Hospital

Cabarrus County Hospital

Carolinas HealthCare System NorthEast looked a lot different when this drawing was made by architect J.N. Pease in 1952 for a new addition. Then the hospital was called the Cabarrus County Hospital. The name and the campus have evolved over the years. This drawing was included the the book, "Carolinas Medical Center-NorthEast, Personality with a Purpose" published in 2012 to celebrate the hospital's 75th Anniversary.

J.N. Pease and Company, from book Carolinas Medical Center-NorthEast, Personality with a Purpose

Charlotte Motor Speedway 1970s

Charlotte Motor Speedway 1970s

This early 1970s look down the front stretch from Turn 2 at Charlotte Motor Speedway shows how much the track and the sport has changed.

FROM CONCORD AND CABARRUS COUNTY IN VINTAGE POSTCARDS BY GEORGE MICHAEL PATTERSON (COURTESY OF JIM RAMSEUR)

Glee Club 1920s

Glee Club 1920s

Decades before the TV show "Glee" the Mount Pleasant Collegiate Institute had its own Glee Club. The Lutheran junior college operated in Mount Pleasant from 1903 to 1933. 

PHOTO COURTESY OF THE EASTERN CABARRUS HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Cannon Mills computer

Cannon Mills computer

John Efird is installing a Univac file computer in August, 1958, in the Cannon Mills computer room. 

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF NORRIS DEARMON AND SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Dixie Cab

Dixie Cab

This 1940 Ford was driven by Lance Burris' father. In 1940, Dixie Cab was located at South Main and Y streets in Kannapolis. By 1949, the company moved to West Avenue.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE & LANCE BURRIS

Shooting Marbles

Shooting Marbles

Randy McBride, from left, an unidentified youngster and Tommy Cheek shoot marbles on the playground at Jackson Park School during the 1950s. 

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Bill Dove Motor Company

Bill Dove Motor Company

Bill Dove Motor Company sold Dodge and Chrysler vehicles from its showroom on Chestnut Street in Kannapolis. This photo was taken in 1954. To the right is H.J. Gregory Motor Company (Ponitac) and beside it is Hilbish Motor Company (Ford). Every fall the dealers would hide their new models and unveil them on Oct. 1.

Mark Plemmons

Belk's grand reopening

Belk's grand reopening

A hundred or so joyous women, along with several less than thrilled men, await the October 12, 1950 grand reopening of the Belk’s Department Store in Downtown Concord. The store located at 7-17 South Union had just completed an extensive remodeling. This building today is known as Union Street Square, but many of the old time Concord residents still refer to it as the old Belk’s building. Businesses operating back then and partially visible in the background are R. L. Miller and Sons Jewelers, Gibson Drugs, Concord National Bank, and the Hotel Concord.

Photo courtesy of Jim Ramseur

Cannon Mills Computer Room, 1976

Cannon Mills Computer Room, 1976

Norris Dearmon, center, talked with students from an A.L. Brown math class who finished the computer room at Cannon Mills in 1976. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

YMCA Women's Room

YMCA Women's Room

In 1955, the Cannon YMCA in Kannapolis had a Women's Department with ping-pong and other game tables. FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

A Real Creampuff

A Real Creampuff

Concord Tribune photographer/reporter Ed Readling shot this photo in about 1980 of Canadian car dealer Al Watson delivering this 1956 Chevrolet to Don Ayscue of Northwest Motors in Concord. Ayscue retired last week from auto business after decades of selling cars in Concord. 

By Ed Readling, The Concord Tribune

George L. Govan, Harrisburg Church Leader

George L. Govan, Harrisburg Church Leader

The son of sharecropper Henry Govan, George L. Govan always kept moving. “At my age you have to keep moving or you may sit down and can’t get back up,” he said at age 83 in 2000. To raise his 11 children, Govan clocked in at Charlotte Pipe and Foundry Company for 36 years before “retiring” to farm life on his Harrisburg hog and corn farm. But it was at his house of worship that Govan became legendary within his community. He was one of the most cherished members of Harrisburg’s historic Bellefonte Presbyterian Church, serving in many ways including fiduciary planning as a trustee and maintaining its grounds and cemetery. While he passed away in 2011 at age 93, his spirit remains through his large family (which extended to great-great-grandchildren at the time of his death) to Bellefonte Presbyterian Church’s life center, which is named in his honor.

FROM THE BOOK "LEGENDARY LOCALS OF CABARRUS COUNTY" BY MICHAEL EURY. PHOTO COURTESY OF THE AUTHOR AND DRUCILLA GOVAN.

W.J. Bullock, mid-century Kannapolis superintendent

W.J. Bullock, mid-century Kannapolis superintendent

W.J. Bullock took the post of superintendent of Kannapolis City Schools in 1936 and maintained it for three decades. In 1966 he became the first North Carolinian to serve on the National Council of the YMCA, as its elected vice president. A.L. Brown High School’s Physical Education Building bears Bullock’s name. He is among 148 notable persons featured in the Arcadia Publishing book "Legendary Locals of Cabarrus County." FROM THE ARCHIVES OF KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATIONS. COURTESY OF MICHAEL EURY AND SHELLY McBRIDE.

Harry R. Higgins at Concord Depot, c. 1949

Harry R. Higgins at Concord Depot, c. 1949

Harrisburg native Harry R. Higgins, who died January 13th at the age of 92, spent his professional life working at different railroad depots in Cabarrus and Rowan Counties, chugging ahead from his early days as a ticket clerk to his position of depot agent at the Kannapolis train station, where he retired in 1982. His father, Jesse Carl Higgins, moved his family to Harrisburg for a job at the Harrisburg Depot during the Great Depression, when Harry was a child. That station was in its final days of operation at that time, but the senior Higgins went on to become a depot agent in China Grove and elsewhere in the area. This photograph, taken in 1949 or 1950 by Sam L. Braswell of Concord, shows Harry Higgins at work at the Concord Depot. 

FROM THE BOOK "LEGENDARY LOCALS OF CABARRUS COUNTY" BY MICHAEL EURY.

City Market, 1906

City Market, 1906

The City Market was the first market in Kannapolis, opening on South Main Street in 1906. It was owned by C.D. Alexander, above at the butcher counter, and W.H. Walter. This photo was published Monday, Oct. 19, 1981 in the Daily Independent.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

“Aunt Dill” Misenheimer, Legendary Midwife

“Aunt Dill” Misenheimer, Legendary Midwife

Idella "Aunt Dill" Mishenheimer, eastern Cabarrus County’s most famous midwife, delivered, by some accounts, “half the babies in Mount Pleasant,” both white and black children. It is believed that “Dillie” (her slave name) was purchased in 1860 by J.J. Misenheimer as a wedding gift for his wife Martha. After emancipation she married Harry Heilig, a former slave from Virginia, and gave birth to several children. She died in 1941. 

FROM THE BOOK "LEGENDARY LOCALS OF CABARRUS COUNTY" BY MICHAEL EURY. PHOTO FROM THE ARCHIVES OF EASTERN CABARRUS HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

Sgt. Church, On the School Beat

Sgt. Church, On the School Beat

Concord schoolchildren of the 1950s through the 1970s had no friend more devoted than Sgt. Richard Church, the city’s public school officer who shared safety tips with kids on campus and conducted tours of the police department. Church died in 2005. In this photo, c. early 1970s, he is greeting children at Coltrane Webb Elementary School. 

FROM THE BOOK "LEGENDARY LOCALS OF CABARRUS COUNTY" BY MICHAEL EURY. PHOTO COURTESY OF THE AUTHOR AND SHARON CHURCH LUQUIRE

Peggè Lee Sapp Haywood, Legendary Dance Teacher

Peggè Lee Sapp Haywood, Legendary Dance Teacher

Countless “dancing daughters” (and sons) mourned the 2005 passing of this delightful artiste who ran the Peggè Lee School of Dance for 40 years, operating it from the basement of her home before relocating into a larger studio. “Miss Peggè” was also involved with Carolina Dance Masters, Dance Masters of America, and the Cabarrus Arts Council. Beauty pageants were another of her passions; she cofounded the Miss Dance of America Pageant, directed the Miss Concord and Miss Cabarrus County competitions, and was an in-demand judge for pageants in other communities and states. Outside of the arts she was committed to the Republican Party on the local, state, and national levels. Haywood sold her school to a former student, Tammy Frye Jordan, who originally maintained the school’s name before redubbing it Cabarrus Dance Academy. In this photo, her students’ beloved “dancing mother” takes center stage, accompanied by the Lee-ettes. 

FROM THE BOOK "LEGENDARY LOCALS OF CABARRUS COUNTY" BY MICHAEL EURY. PHOTO COURTESY OF THE AUTHOR AND TAMMY FRYE JORDAN.

Hoover's, The Young Man's Store

Hoover's, The Young Man's Store

Hoover's, The Young Man's Store, was established in downtown Concord c.1912. In this image of July 8, 1966 they are celebrating their grand reopening following an extensive renovation of the same space where they began in 1912. Shown in the foreground assisting are Concord High School students Alice Peninger and May Merritt. Behind them in the dark suit is Alice's father, H. M. Peninger Jr., who is talking with Concord Mayor Les Myers for whom our local park is named. Moving to the right are Bobby Biggers, Charles Wilson, and David McEachern III. The photo image was taken by the Lawson Bonds Studio then located just down the street at 38 South Union Street.

Courtesy of Jim Ramseur

GEORGE WASHINGTON CARVER HIGH SCHOOL FACULTY, 1953

GEORGE WASHINGTON CARVER HIGH SCHOOL FACULTY, 1953

Kannapolis’ esteemed high school for students of color closed its doors in 1967 with the advent of desegregation, with most of its students resuming their education at A.L. Brown High School. Many of its teachers, including Hannah Reid (front row, center), continued shaping young minds at other Cabarrus County schools that formerly taught white students only. Kannapolis will soon be resurrecting the school's name for a new K-5 school to be built on the high school's original site. The faculty of George Washington Carver High School assembled for this group photograph, circa 1953. From left to right are (front row) Virginia Taylor, Catherine Litaker, Mary Johnson, Hannah Reid, Maggie Bryant, Ora Wesley, and Effie Brown; (second row) Margaret Willie, Gwendolyn Smith, Effie Cochran, Mary Hughes, Nancy Miller, and Van Foster; (third row) William L. Reid (principal), Lena Kirk, Vernice Dungee, and Gladys Kino; and (fourth row) Rosa Sellers, Ira Brewer, Betty McConnehey, Dorothy Whitmire, and Earl Whitmire. 

FROM THE BOOK "LEGENDARY LOCALS OF CABARRUS COUNTY" BY MICHAEL EURY. PHOTO FROM THE ARCHIVES OF KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES.

Hillary Clinton in Concord, 2008

Hillary Clinton in Concord, 2008

Then-Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton takes a moment to pose with restaurant staff during her April 2008 campaign stop at Troutman's Barbecue on North Church Street in Concord, during her first bid for the U.S. presidency. 

FROM THE BOOK "THE RAIFORD TROUTMAN STORY" BY MICHAEL EURY. COURTESY OF THE AUTHOR.

Beard Contest 1949

Beard Contest 1949

1949 saw the Sesquicentennial of the discovery of gold in Cabarrus County, complete with a visit from Governor Kerr Scott. Numerous celebrations took place as the local folks remembered the first US gold being discovered right here in Cabarrus County in 1799. One such notable event was a stock race at Harris Super Speedway promoted by Bruton Smith, yes the same Bruton Smith. Many local Concord men took part in the beard growing contest and the Concord Firemen were no exception. All men who declined to participate were subject to incarceration in a make shift jail on the Courthouse lawn. Shown here standing next to the Concord Fire Department on Church Street in period dress are a bearded John A. Fisher and his daughter Rosemary Fisher. Mr. Fisher continued to serve the Fire Department and later became Fire Chief from 1969 until his untimely death in 1974. 

Photo from the archives of Rosemary Fisher Goodman/Courtesy of Jim Ramseur

Liquor Bust, 1964

Liquor Bust, 1964

Kannapolis police officers pour confiscated liquor down a manhole at the old police station in downtown Kannapolis after a bust in 1964. The photo is from Lt. Harley Tucker.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Hoover's

Hoover's

Hoover’s was established in Concord circa 1912 at 12 South Union Street in the building immediately adjacent to, and to the north of where Angela’s is currently located. This exterior image of Hoover’s in that location is dated 1916. Aubrey Ramseur Hoover Sr. was President and General Manager. Mr. Hoover resided on Grove Street and served on the Concord Board of Aldermen. This Concord Governing Body was renamed as City Council in the 1990s. Hoover’s was described in 1916 as handling high class, fashionable goods for men and young men. The haberdashers carried Manhattan shirts, Stetson hats, and Schloss Brothers clothing and could be reached on the telephone by dialing 32

Photo courtesy of Jim Ramseur

Cabarrus Educator Fran Black Holland, 1959

Cabarrus Educator Fran Black Holland, 1959

Kannapolis resident Fran Black Holland was hired by superintendent W.J. Bullock in 1951 to teach Bible at A.L. Brown High School, soon adding 9th grade English to her workload before being hired at Concord High in 1959, where she taught Senior English until retiring in 1983. She is a 2007 recipient of the Order of the Long Leaf Pine, North Carolina’s highest civilian honor. In this 1959 photograph, Fran and husband Baxter F. Black Jr., a Kannapolis pharmacist, hold their daughter, Janet Ward Black. Fran Black Holland will be the guest speaker at the March meeting of the Kannapolis History Associates on Monday, March 7 at 7:00 p.m. at A.L. Brown High School. FROM THE BOOK “LEGENDARY LOCALS OF CABARRUS COUNTY” BY MICHAEL EURY.

Eastern Cabarrus Historical Society Museum

Eastern Cabarrus Historical Society Museum

Eastern Cabarrus Historical Society Museum, mid-1970s The august group of Mt. Pleasant preservationists known as the Eastern Cabarrus Historical Society (ECHS) has filled this stately building at 110 North Main Street, shown here in the mid-1970s, with artifacts, antiques, portraits and photographs, publications, and ephemera that recreate 19th and early 20th century life in Cabarrus County. The hilltop building itself was erected by the North Carolina Lutheran Synod in 1855 as the Western Carolina Male Academy. Concord author Michael Eury will be making a “Legendary Locals of Cabarrus County” book presentation, followed by a book signing, at the ECHS’s Society Hall on Sunday, March 6 at 2:00 p.m.

FROM THE BOOK “LEGENDARY LOCALS OF CABARRUS COUNTY” BY MICHAEL EURY.

West Avenue 1939

West Avenue 1939

West Avenue was a busy street in 1939. This photo shows Daniel Jung Laundry. The family residence was upstairs above the laundry. Also shown is the back of Mary Ella Hall and First Baptist Church.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

West C Street Gulf

West C Street Gulf

The Gulf Station at 520 West C Street was operated by M.S. Lyles when this photo was taken in February, 1959.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Jackson Park

Jackson Park

Jackson Park at Cannon Boulevard looks much the same today but the businesses were all different: Kannapolis Bakery, the U.S. Post Office, Dixie Laundry, Armstrong Flooring, Chick's Good Food, Glidden Pant, Antique The Glass Shop, Towel City Blind Company (owned by the Seafords), and the George Early Texaco Service Station.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Birthday Celebrations

Birthday Celebrations

Mary Hartsell and Larry Hartsell celebrated their birthdays together in about 1944. In attendance were: front from left, Pamela Hartsell, Larry Hartsell, Brenda Smith, Annie Lee Faggart and Ronnie Smith; second row, Sarah Faggart, Wendell Wright, and Gary Ketner; and third row, Sarah Bost, Phil King, Vivian King, Rachel Faggart, Midge Hartsell, Doris Barbee, Mary Hartsell; Jean King; and Raeburn Love.

Submitted by Amnaris F. Miller

Ruthledge and Bullock

Ruthledge and Bullock

Two of the community's leading citizens, J. Carlyle Ruthledge, left, and W.J. Bullock, right, have their photo made with marching band during a special occasion in Kannapolis.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

C.B. Bass Grocery

C.B. Bass Grocery

The C.B. Bass Grocery operated from 1935 to 1955 at 1116 Pine St., Kannapolis. Charles Burton Bass Sr. was the owner and is pictured with others in this 1955 photo. 

PHOTO COURTESY OF SYLVIA BASS RITCHIE - GRANDDAUGHTER, and KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES

Cannon Mills bleachery, 1954

Cannon Mills bleachery, 1954

This Cannon Mills building was at the corner of First Street and Oak Avenue facing the bleachery. The building had the bleaching, finishing and dyeing operations, plus towel shearing and cutting.The Testile Laboratory was also inside where Cannon raw materials, processes and products were continuously tested. On the far right is a campaign poster for W. Kerr Scott, who ran for U.S. Senate in 1954.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Hoover’s, 1916

Hoover’s, 1916

Hoover’s was established in Concord circa 1912 at 12 South Union Street in the building immediately adjacent to, and to the north of where Angela’s is currently located.  This exterior image of Hoover’s in that location is dated 1916.  Aubrey Ramseur Hoover Sr. was President and General Manager.  Mr. Hoover resided on Grove Street and served on the Concord Board of Aldermen.  This Concord Governing Body was renamed as City Council in the 1990s.  Hoover’s was described in 1916 as handling high class, fashionable goods for men and young men.  The haberdashers carried Manhattan shirts, Stetson hats, and Schloss Brothers clothing and could be reached on the telephone by dialing 32.  This early Hoover’s interior image has the following individuals identified on the back of the photo:  From left to right – Tom Alexander, Norman Black, Julius Fisher, and Norman Alston.  During the mid-twentieth century and later, Hoover’s was the premier young men’s store in Concord.  Following Downtown Concord anchor stores, Hoover’s moved to the Carolina Mall in the 1970s where the business was later ended.

Photos courtesy of Jim Ramseur

Downtown Kannapolis, 1930s

Downtown Kannapolis, 1930s

Cannon Mills an Plant 1, 1930s This aerial view of downtown Kannapolis in the 1930s shows only one smokestack (the second was built in 1950). Montgomery Ward, First Baptist Church and the Gem Theater are seen, but the church still has a dome, which was removed in 1954. It also shows Trinity Methodist Church, prior to its move to East First Street, Mary Ella Hall, the train depot, Lady’s Funeral Home and J.W. Cannon High School and its gym. There were a number of two-story houses at that time. 

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF THE KANNAPOLIS HISTORY ASSOCIATES , COURTESY OF SHELLEY MCBRIDE

Mt. Pleasant Collegiate Institute, 1903

Mt. Pleasant Collegiate Institute, 1903

 This is a photo of members of the first Class of Mt. Pleasant Collegiate Institute in the 1903-1904 academic year.They are seated from left, O. D. Ritchie, Grover Ritchie, Charles Hatley, Arthur Fisher, Baxter Monroe and standing Hedrick Faggart, John Peck, Moses Kester, Fred Morrison

Photo courtesy of Eastern Cabarrus Historical Society

Belk’s 1946

Belk’s 1946

Belk’s department store was in downtown Kannapolis on South Main Street in 1946. This photo shows 101, 103 and 105 S. Main Street. 

Photo courtesy of Kannapolis History Associates.

Fisher & Sloop Gulf, 1939

Fisher & Sloop Gulf, 1939

 Fisher & Sloop Gulf Service Station was at the corner of West Avenue and West B Street in 1939. The street address was 143-145 West Ave. In the background you can see Mary Ella Hall.

Photo Courtesy of Kannapolis History Associates

Denny's Tire Service

Denny's Tire Service

Denny's Tire Service was located at 1901 S. Main St., in Midway Kannapolis. 

Photo courtesy of Kannapolis History Associates

Central Methodist Church, downtown Concord, 1939

Central Methodist Church, downtown Concord, 1939

Central (United) Methodist Church, on Union Street just north of the square, as photographed by Zack Roberts in 1939. This structure was made from bricks produced in Mount Pleasant and drudgingly transported by mule, with construction beginning in 1860. From the 1940s through the early 1970s, located next door to Central were the Concord Public Library, Memorial Hall (the original Concord Museum), and a YMCA swimming pool. Central demolished this building in 1972 to make way for its current sanctuary.

FROM THE ARCHIVES OF HISTORIC CABARRUS ASSOCIATION, INC. COURTESY OF MICHAEL EURY

Kannapolis' First Supermarket

Kannapolis' First Supermarket

This 1947 view of West Avenue in Kannapolis shows Dixie Home Stores, the first modern supermarket, which was established in 1937. By 1939, the store moved to the opposite side of the street, which had been widened for four lanes and a median added. You can see the smokestack from Cannon Mills Plant 1 in the center of the photo. Others stores pictured include Ritchie Hardware Company and Ketner’s, which was run by one of the founders of Food Town/Food Lion. 

Photo courtesy of Kannapolis History Associates

Oak Avenue 1983

Oak Avenue 1983

Oak Avenue looked a bit different in 1983 in Kannapolis. Back then Duke Energy was called Duke Power Company and there were many businesses thriving in downtown Kannapolis.

Photo courtesy of Reggie Ballard and Kannapolis History Associates

Myer’s Bootery 1937

Myer’s Bootery 1937

 Myer’s Bootery was located by the Gem Theatre in 1937. “45 Fathers” was playing at the Gem. Dr. Robinson, a Cannon Mills physician, was upstairs. The building was art deco style.

Photo courtesy of Kannapolis History Associates

W.T. Grant 1939

W.T. Grant 1939

This view of South Main Street in Kannapolis from 1939 shows W.T. Grant along with Wilkinson’s Furniture, Kannapolis Drug Company, Penders Grocery, Woolworth, Montgomery Ward and other buildings. It is part of the Kannapolis History Associates collection business photos.

Courtesy of Kannapolis History Associates

Country Music Star

Country Music Star

This is another unidentified photo from the Oxford Studios in downtown Concord. Country Music star Randy Travis, center, poses with a man and a woman. Do you recognize them? Photographer Michael Anderson and a group of people interested in preserving the historical finds in the studio are working to identify the photos and negatives. Email mplemmons@independenttribune.com if anything about this photo.

Pepper Pot Café, 1959

Pepper Pot Café, 1959

Pepper Pot Café, 1959 This delightful photograph by Lawson Bonds, dated June 8, 1959, was recently discovered in the historic Oxford/Bonds Studio in downtown Concord. The Pepper Pot Café was located at 117 S. Powder Street in Concord. If you know why these children were gathered or have any information about this photo, please contact the editor at mplemmons@independenttribune.com. COURTESY OF MICHAEL EURY.

COURTESY OF MICHAEL EURY.
0 Comments

Related to this collection

Eastern Cabarrus Historical Museum to host photo exhibit

Eastern Cabarrus Historical Museum to host photo exhibit

MT. PLEASANT – Two years ago, when photographer Michael Anderson moved into his current studio on Union Street in Concord, he discovered a “ti…

Step back in time with these photos from Cabarrus past

Step back in time with these photos from Cabarrus past

Step back into the past with these photos, clippings and other information from Cabarrus County's past. The photos and information come from a…

Snapshots of Cabarrus Past Volume 3

Snapshots of Cabarrus Past Volume 3

These are older photos from around Cabarrus County. If you have photos you would like to share send them to mplemmons@independenttribune.com. …

Snapshots of Cabarrus Past

Snapshots of Cabarrus Past

A collection of images from Cabarrus County's past, updated regularly.

Snapshots of Cabarrus Past Volume 4

Snapshots of Cabarrus Past Volume 4

These are older photos from around Cabarrus County. If you have photos you would like to share send them to mplemmons@independenttribune.com. …

Independent Tribune
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Instagram

Sites & Partners

  • Place an Ad
  • Event Calendar
  • Join our Team
  • Newsletter Sign-up

Services

  • Manage Subscription
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise
  • Licensing
  • Shopping
  • Dealer Returns
© Copyright 2026 Independent Tribune, PO Box 968 Hickory, NC 28603
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Advertising Terms of Use | Do Not Sell My Info | Cookie Preferences
Powered by BLOX Content Management System from bloxdigital.com.
  • Notifications
  • Settings
You don't have any notifications.

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

Breaking News

News Alerts

You are logged in
 Switch accounts
Secure transaction. Cancel anytime. Have an account? Log In

Sign Up

Account processing issue - the email address may already exist

User information
This is the name that will be displayed next to your photo for comments, blog posts, and more. Choose wisely!
Your email address will be used to confirm your account. We won't share it with anyone else.
Create a password that only you will remember. If you forget it, you'll be able to recover it using your email address.
Confirm your password.
Have an account? Log In

You're all set!

Thank you .

Your account has been registered, and you are now logged in.

Check your email for details.

OK

Log In

Invalid password or account does not exist

Forgot your password?
Email me a log in link
Admin login Subscribe
Need an account? Sign Up

Reset Password

Submitting this form below will send a message to your email with a link to change your password.

Forgot Password

An email message containing instructions on how to reset your password has been sent to the email address listed on your account.

Email me a log in link

Promotional Offers

No promotional rates found.

Purchase Gift Purchase Access

An error occurred

Secure & Encrypted

What's your email address?
What's your name?
Who is this gift for?
Who is this gift from?
Delivery date
What's your billing location?
What's your delivery address?
Subtotal:
Total:
How would you like to pay?
Add New Card

Secure transaction. Secure transaction. Cancel anytime.

You're all set!

Thank you.

Your gift purchase was successful! Your purchase was successful, and you are now logged in.

A receipt was sent to your email.

OK

An error occurred

This offer is currently unavailable.